Thursday, May 04, 2006

Grand Retro

Today Total: 10k
Week Total: 42k
Month Total: 42k
Year Total: 1009k

To celebrate my 1000th kilometer for the year I decided today would be a return to the 80's - so after donning my stubbies, KT-26's, matching head and wrist bands, and my Life Be In It T-shirt I set the HRM alert function to "Off" and headed out the door humming the cheezy Bee Gee's number Jive Talkin and a vague notion that I would run with my heartrate somewhere in the 80 - 90% zone.

I also had another thought that I would like to run somewhere around my previous half marathon PB pace to see what that felt like these days - obviously I was hoping the two notions were compatable.

The first warm up k clicked through in 5.33 and I gently accelerated up to cruising speed. The next 9 k's flowed like water down a mountain stream - seemingly effortless and with a bubbling enthusiasm (where IS that Mills and Boon contract?) with splits ranging between 5.04 & 5.10.

Final wrap up was 10k in 51.56 (inclusive of the warm up k) @ av 5.12 pace which is bang on for my previous half PB pace. Average heartrate was 161bpm (86%)

J J J Jive talkin....

PS sorry for planting that song in your head but it is stuck in mine and I like to share :-)

11 comments:

Bernie G said...

Wow 1000ks. What a great sight you must have been this morning. Do you think you could drag this outfit out for the SMH?

Dave said...

I love retro and the 80's is my fave! However I am currently experimenting with a 70's look :)

Well done on the kilo!

Ellie80 said...

hehe - congrats! the life be in it shirt is causing me flashbacks - but i can't for the life of me place that beegees song. probably for the best... :)

Jen said...

I always knew you were one cool dude!

Horrie said...

You are a lunatic 2p. What a sight you would have been. That's a good run and things are looking good for SMH Half. See how I feel after Banana Coast but I hope I can run with you at SMH. But only if you wear the same gear as today. ;-)

Lulu said...

GReat stuff 1000kms and a great 10km pace! I can only dream..

R2B said...

Don't know that song (thank god!)
well done on an easy 10k at pace!
Can just imagine that life be in it shirt Norm would be proud!

D said...

Great post 2P - I am visualizing that run in my mind - with 2P singing the BEEGEES tunes.....

Now I have to get that dang song out of my head....

Superflake said...

Now its in my head. Congrats on the 1000ks, Can you take a photo of Norm and post him on the blog?

Tesso said...

Woohoo! Congrats on the 1000k. I'm a bit disappointed there is no pic though.

Hey, that can be our song for 'Dancing With The Stars'!

trailblazer777 said...

Go the 80's! eye of the tiger is a good one too...