Friday, March 02, 2007

3k Tempo(ish) & A Quicky

Today Total: 10k
Week Total: 20k
Month Total: 10k
Year Total: 427k

The Evil Twins are still giving me a bit of gyp the cheeky buggers. The only thing I can think of is that the combination of a week off, the extra weight in the pack and the jolting down the stairs all combined to really piss them off.

Oh well - they will be right by race day - their behaviour is nowhere near as bad as times gone by.

Anyhoo I decided not to run yesterday and then today I went through the same ritual as Wednesday - warm bath, rub in the Brauer Gel and a very easy first km.

The energy levels are right up so on the second k I rolled up the pace to a gnats nut under tempo and ran the next 3k @ 5.15. Everything felt ok so I kicked down to around 5k race pace to split the 5th k in 4.39 which gave me just over twenty minutes of upper aerobic stuff which is enough given I didn't want to push my luck too far.

That marked the turn around point and I just turned for home and came back at a gentle 6 min pace - in fact I went 29.29 for the 5k home.

I can feel the twins conspiring but *touches wood (ie head)* it is just tightness and not injury and I know how to handle them.

Cold water bath with ice time MMMMmmmm my favourite :-)

8 comments:

Shane said...

Here's hoping the twins have decided to raise the white flag and admit defeat.

However after that ice bath I think you will have some other twins that will be angry with you ;-)

Nice running!

Jen said...

LOL!

I'm sure the cows can be beaten into submission by then. Hope it goes well tomorrow!

Celeste said...

OK I'll bite. Evil Twins?? Umm... your legs? Otherwise my mind is suggesting naughty bits.

Tesso said...

Tee hee, the comments are just as amusing as the blog entry :-)

Nice work on the run. Sessions like that sure boost the confidence don't you think.

Ewen said...

Celeste might want to help you with the Brauer Gel next time ;)

Be careful with the twins this coming week 2P. Save them the shock of stairs and hills for another 7 days, 10 hours, 57 minutes and 9 seconds. I really don't want to come across them out in the Badlands!

CJ said...

Good luck with the evil twins - a good talking to should do the trick!

Vicky said...

Ice bath it is!! In ya go!!

I think I like your theory about having a bit of a break and a light build up rather than a taper... food for thought.

Just think - this time next week it'll all be over (for another year anyway!)

Take care this week, MAR.

Stephen Lacey said...

Oh Jaysus yairs, Ewen, I can just imagine the Brauer Gel on *those* evil twins right now. Celeste and Shane, please step forward for your commenting medals right now.

C'mon toops, not long to go now mate. Time to lock don and buckle up for the big ride.