Thursday, March 15, 2007

Back In The Saddle

Today Total: 8k
Week Total: 8k
Month Total: 104k
Year Total: 511k

After some pretty intense work on the recalcitrant twin, the shin and ankle over the last four days I figured it was time to get out for a plod. The rest of the body pulled up remarkably well - in fact I was much sorer after some of my training runs than I was after Six Foot this year - which is kinda nice and kinda frustrating at the same time.

Anyhoo the first 2k was a bit ugly as my ankle was grouching a bit and whilst there was some pressure from the twin it wasn't restricting me in any way. Somewhere along the third k I became aware that nothing hurt anymore so I stepped the pace up a bit - all good :-)

At 4k I stopped and had a bit of a stretch then turned back for home - felt even better - so I varied the pace a bit on the way back so all my muscles and joints got a bit of a stretch and work out - the splits ranging from 5.41 through to 4.58.

Finished with 8k in 44.08 @ 5.31av.

Now that I've cooled down a bit the right twin, shin and ankle have tightened up a bit but it doesn't feel like I've done any further damage - here's hoping it just continues to get better.

In other injury news - everything is healing well except for my left hand which has become a bit infected - nothing that the occasional scrub out with a scourer and application of antiseptic wont cure. My left shoulder is coming good too - it only hurts a little bit when I raise my hand above my head now - good thing I have short hair as I can wash it single handed :-)

BTW - thanks for all the great comments on my race - they were all very much appreciated.

8 comments:

TD said...

Scrub out with a scourer???...you can keep that one 2P. I just about need a medical degree and a strong stomach to deal with the graphic images you and CJ have produced of late!

Katie said...

Hey 2p! Great photos!! You sure looked impressive at the finish :-)
Gutsy run! Thanks for your cheers on the range.... gave me a lift!!!

Katie said...

Hey 2p! Great photos!! You sure looked impressive at the finish :-)
Gutsy run! Thanks for your cheers on the range.... gave me a lift!!!

Superflake said...

Good to see you getting out there again. You need some form, you have Hellgate in 6 weeks.

Lulu said...

Glad to hear you're back on the road without too much serious damage. The hand sounds nasty though, and I'm not sure I'd let you administer first aid on me!

Isobel Harris said...

Great report Scott. When I saw you on my way up from the river you looked you had been hit by a bus, now I know why!

Without doubt you have a big pb in you, with a well behaved pair of calves and no more stacks you will nail sub 5:30 next year easy!

See you on a trail soon mate..

Tesso said...

Looks to me like you have recovered really well, that's a decent pace for 8k so soon after 6ft.

What is the Hellgate run? Sounds hot :)

Ewen said...

You could exchange 'scrubbing out' tips with CJ ;)