Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Sunuam Luang

Today Total: 5k
Week Total: 5k
Month Total: 176k
Year Total: 571k

I woke up at 5AM this morning so I quietly slipped out a bit after 6 (when it became light) for a bit of a doddle.

Took off a bit fast - as you do after 3 days break and made my way down to Sunuam Luang - The Royal Field. Given the traffic was already quite heavy I just opted to do a few laps.

There was a few Thai joggers out and one real racing snake (complete with Nike racing flats and a Polar HRM & footpod) who gave me a big "suwatdee" as he passed and a big beaming smile.

On my second lap I ran into some lads from a local Thai Boxing stable - they weren't going very fast but amazingly a few of them had tracky tops on! There I was sweating like a murderer on death row waiting for a pardon in Texas and these guys looked as cool as cucumbers.

It was already over 30 degrees and about a million percent humidity so I called it quits when I racked up 5k in 27.34 and bidding farewell to the Grand Palace I just walked slowly back to my hotel.

Mission accomplished :-)

8 comments:

Ellie80 said...

sounds great mate! hope you are enjoying yourself. When I was in Indonesia I remember being impressed by people always wearing long sleeves and even gloves. Although partly cultural - a lot of them told me that they didn't want to get a tan and get any darker than they were! Whereas there I was busting to get a tan so as to be less glow-in-the-dark white!!!

stay safe :)

miners said...

great to see the big oompa loompa getting out there for a sweaty run or two. geez - the next part of the tour's sounding interesting. The crop top running outfit won't be getting used i assume ...

Spark Driver said...

Running in a foreign country sounds like such an adventure. Hoping I get to do it one day.

Ewen said...

The knee-length shorts didn't slow you down much. No wonder you worked up a sweat if it was a brazillion percent humidity.

Hope the twins are enjoying the change in scenery :)

Tesso said...

Wow, how exciting running in Thailand!!!! You must take your camera with you next time, I love to see what the local runners look like.

Hey, nice pace by the way, especially considering the huuuuuumidity.

Jen said...

Keep up your runs in that humidity & you'll be just a garden variety oompha loompa (sans steroids) in no time :-)

Celeste said...

Wow - sounds amazing! Doesn't matter what language you speak - you can still communicate through running!!

running uphill said...

Enjoying that image of the racing snake. Good to hear that you are still getting out there.