Sunday, March 18, 2007

Returning To The Scene Of The Crime

Today Total: 31k
Week Total: 46k
Month Total: 142k
Year Total: 549k

The Halfpenny had a full day of Rock Eisteddfod practice today and as I had to cross the Blue Mountains anyway I figured what the heck - why not do a lap from Explorers Tree to the Coxs and return.

Started out a bit after midday in misty rainy conditions with the temperature about 15 degrees - just the way I love Nellies Glen.

The right Twin started whinging right fro the very start the bastard but there was none of the ankle or shin pain I've had since Six Foot Track. In fact all the rest of the muscles in the leggies felt great.

*Rant Warning*

Coming up to Megalong Road I was really miffed to see that "Romeo's" cheer squad from last week had left half a dozen signs nailed to trees - I just don't understand some people - this bit is on private land and I wouldn't blame the farmer one bit if he (or she) kicked up a stink about the marathon. It's not just the littering - the nails are not good for the trees either. Sadly as I don't run with a claw hammer there was nothing I could do.

*Rant ends*

Went through Megalong Road in 51.30 (six mins faster than last week). It was much warmer in the valley and the sun was trying to break through the clouds so I backed off a bit - I've never done such a big/hard run just 8 days after 6ft before and didn't want to bonk.

I really enjoyed (as always) the run down the technical trail and the dip in the river (about the same depth as last week). Went across the "timing mats" in a smidge over 1.39 (5 mins faster than last week).

After the obligatory visit to the tank to top up the camelbak I recrossed the river deliberately going through the deepest bit (chest high) and headed up the hill.

Right Twin notwithstanding I couldn't believe how good my leggies felt - I ran all the way from the river to the base of the stairs at the limestone outcrop without walking - I've never done that before!

I kept making good time and arrived back at Megalong Road in 2.42 which was another first by a pretty handy margin - only 8k to go and I knew a training PB was well and truly on the cards.

Back across the cow paddock and onto Nellies Glen Road and I started to pay the price for my earlier energy outlay but the thought of setting a new benchmark time for me for this run kept me honest.

I surprised myself by running a goodly portion of the technical trail up towards the Nellies Glen sign but from there it was back to a walk.

When I went past the hugging post at the top of the stairs I had absolutely nuffin left - the needle was on empty and it took me longer than usual to traverse the fire trail back to the car.

Finished in 4.01.50 for a more than 18 minute training PB - wooohooo very happy 2P :-)

19 comments:

Superflake said...

Great training run mate.I don't remember any Romeo cheer squad sign? Sure way to kill a tree eventually putting nails through it.

Jen said...

My turn for words to fail me :-)

Spud said...

Somebody stop him...
Can't keep a good man down. Nice work 2P!

Celeste said...

You're a machine!!

Just a casual Sunday jog for 4 hours... The weather sounds beautiful. I've yet to run in anything as cold as 15 degrees - that water must have been freezing!

Gronk said...

Nice one mate. You'll have to bring me up to speed on how to recover after a marathon one day. :)

Tesso said...

Ok, what are you on? How can you run 31k so soon after last weekend? You are a freak - but a nice freak :)

Stephen Lacey said...

Hey 2P, that's a good thing you did that today because I was on the phone to Kevin Tiller today and he said that because of some technical problems they are going to have to re-run Six Foot six weeks from now.

Ahhh....if only... ;-)

Nice little effort though. But as I hinted, what ya gunna spend it on?

Ewen said...

I can see a big Hellgate Gorge PB coming up.

You're not that crazy. I keep thinking I'd like to do the tree to Caves Road one day.

I remember those signs. Bloody idiots. Take a pair of pliers with you next week ;)

Don Juan said...

You're supposed to be in reverse taper & recovery mode.

Hope the halfpenny goes to uni at Katoomba.

Rachel said...

Wow, you are keen!!

Simlin said...

Building up to an enourmous 6 foot 2008 there 2P.

Spark Driver said...

Do you ever stop?!?

Couldn't be that hard to track down the above mentioned Romeo and nail his signs to his head!

Lulu said...

I now have positive proof that you are mad :)

running uphill said...

Amazing!! Wonder how you'll pull up after this one.

BTW, sorry for being an ignoramus, but what exactly is technical trail?

plu said...

TP,

Far too early but i guess when you drive by now and then you don't have much choice.

Plu

Unknown said...

you don't run with a claw hammer?

D said...

I know I'm late with this but Congrats on a tough 6ft race! Nice job toughing it out like that!

Clairie said...

Great effort 2P.

That really disgusts me about people leaving signs that have been NAILED to the trees. What were they thinking?

Take it easy now, don't want you turning into one of those 100Miler freaks :))))

Clairie said...

Great effort 2P.

That really disgusts me about people leaving signs that have been NAILED to the trees. What were they thinking?

Take it easy now, don't want you turning into one of those 100Miler freaks :))))