Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Race Pace Recovery

Today Total: 10k
Week Total: 10k
Month Total: 155k
Year Total: 417k

Hehe only 9 days to go :-)

I pulled up excessively sore after Sunday which surprised me a bit given it was only 16k over 2 and a smidge hours - but (and I've used this expression before) my calves felt like unripe grapefruits - all hard and bitter! My quads weren't much happier and over the last couple of days if I sat down for an hour or so I would get up and do the zimmer frame shuffle (without the frame) till I could loosen up enough to walk with just the broom stick in the fundamental orifice sashay.

The good news is that whilst I was still very tight - I didn't feel fatigued at all if that makes any sense - energy levels and the "system" have felt great. I suppose going flat stick up and down the stairs at Nellies wasn't the brightest move I could have made after a light week followed by a complete week off (? - or maybe - ?).

I really did need to run though so this arvo after I got home I minced my way inside and straight into a hot bath. After emerging from the bath I rubbed about a tube of Brauer Sports Ice Gel and headed out the door.

It kind of killed two birds with one stone - I seriously needed a recovery run but I also wanted some practice at race pace - which (rather uniquely) with Six Foot is slower than normal training pace. All up 10k in 63.12 @ 6.19 av.

I'm really glad I did it because despite the residual soreness I felt like I could run forever and I was tempted to keep it going - but discretion played the better part of valour and I restricted it to the 10k I initially set out to do. I had absolutely NO inclination to stride out - but apart from that the "system" felt fantastic.

Having read a number of posts/blogs where people feel frumpy during taper I inadvertantly think I might have stumbled on something that really works for me (though the acid test is still to come) - a couple of light weeks then a short but flat out session and then a gradual build up to race day - actually this isn't new for me - past experience in other disciplines has led me to believe that I perform best with a build up (from a rested position) rather than a taper from a tired one.

Still a bit sore - but it is a good hurt and deep in my gut I feel I have timed this one perfectly - bring it on baby :-)

12 comments:

Superflake said...

Bit of a shock feeling that bad in the legs from such a short run. Hope you have run it out and you can get a few good runs in before the race. Missed yesterday due to end of month work.

Gronk said...

I'm on a permanent taper. ;-)

Spark Driver said...

I think most of all I'm going to miss your count down timer when this is all over.

Enjoy your taper. You have earned it.

Tesso said...

Your timer was on 9days, 9mins & 9secs when I got in to your blog :-)

You may well be on to something there. It sounds like it will give you a mental edge as well as a physical one. If it works I might try it for Canberra!

Samurai Running said...

Great 2P

Let's hope you have timed it so.

By the way I understand the "tight but not fatigued" line but only in reference to my lazy and frugal ex-girlfriend ;)

Vicki said...

just dont do anything stupid now......

sometimes we are out own worst enemies.

Clairie said...

I like the theory of your reverse taper 2p but I still think FOR ME the psyhcology of a rest before the race is good. It prepares me mentally regardless of what it does to my body.

Everyone is different and like you said - this works for you. So keep it up.

Be confident and stay strong.

8 more sleeps is it?

Stephen Lacey said...

I like that idea. It accords pretty well with what happened to me through January. Though it would take a bit of guts to go out and start a full-tilt marathon with 150 km in your legs over the previous ten days. I might just test out the theory though...

miners said...

yeah me too - run through this taper thingy. It's all a ploy from non-running spouses & partners to get us to mow the lawns, fix the gate, replace the tap washers, etc...

Ewen said...

Shite! Only 08 days 14 hours, 21 minutes and 44 seconds to go!

Not sure how you're going to get the zimmer frame down the steps and over Cox's, but the rest should be easy.

Take care mate. Can't wait 'til next week. The thought of a (free) cold beer will keep me mobile along the Black Range ;)

plu said...

I feel like the race has started already....here we go.

Plu

Horrie said...

It's surprising that you have pulled up so sore after the weekend's run but then it isn't if that makes sense. Seeing you didn't run for a week, it shouldn't have smashed the legs as much as it did but then you did hurtle down Nellies and go strongly back up so probably pushed a bit hard considering you were just coming back from a virus. I am sure you will hit 6 Foot in great shape.