Sunday, March 25, 2007

Leaving On A Jet Plane

Well that's it - I'm finally packed.... good thing daylight savings ends tonight because that means it's really only half past midnight now. Gotta be up uber-early to get to the airport to fly out to Thailand and I'm a twee bit weary - the last couple of days have been a bit hectic with a personal matter that almost put the kybosh on the trip - oh well I can always sleep on the plane.

It's an Intrepid tour which is the tour you have when you're not having a tour - their laid back (yet cultrually sensitive) approach, small groups and plenty of free time really appeals to me - none of this 'on the bus, off the bus' stuff with intrepid.

Allegedly part of this tour (of which I know surprisingly little for someone who usually plans everything to the 'nth' detail) has me traveling by hephalump, longtail boats, minibusses and trains. I even get to spend a night as a 'home stay' in a karen village - oh dear my snoring and farting will be a bit of a shock for them I dare say - oh well it's only one night.

The highlight (well my pre-conceived idea of a highlight) for me will be the trip to Kanchanaburi where we will visit the Hellfire Pass Museum and travel by train on the infamous Thai-Burma railway to the Bridge over the River Kwai. A chance to pay my respects is something I feel honoured to be able to do.

Anyhoo - I had hoped to get another run in today but will have to settle for 22k for this week - I've packed a set of running togs (including my CR cap) but I don't know if I will get the chance to use them. I also don't know whether I will be able to blog via cackleberry - in theory yes - but I never trust the technology till I see it work.

In any event even if the cackleberry works I wont be able to comment on your blogs as the new blogger just wont be in it from a pda - but with luck I will still keep up with all your shenanigans via bloglines.

In case I am in a technology void - best wishes to my very good mate Miners for the Port IM - I'll be back in time to wish all you Canberra-ites luck ;-)

Ciao for now ;-)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Safe travels 2P, it sounds like a wonderful trip :)

Superflake said...

Have fun mate. Intrepid are good. I lease some buses to them. Groups usually 10 max. O Runner has used the blackberry to blog from interstate so hopefully yours will work.

Ewen said...

Have a great trip 2P. I guess you're travelling on trains like this?

Hope you get a chance to dust off the togs. Plenty of mountains over there :)

Celeste said...

Have a great time!!! (Hee hee! I ran more km than your this week!!!) ;)

Lulu said...

Hope you have a great time and you get a chance to do some running. See you in a few weeks.

miners said...

Cheers big fella - that's exactly what I needed :)