Friday, March 16, 2007

3, 2, 1, Take Em As Come

Today Total: 7k
Week Total: 15k
Month Total:111k
Year Total: 518k

I mowed the lawn in light rain after work and then decided to do a quick run before heading off to training.

Setting off with no pre-conceived idea I took it steady for the first 200m while my ankle got its act together.

On topping the short rise at the end of the street at Cabarita Junction my whole system just felt in 'go mode' so I let my legs stride out - not a peep from the Twins and even their ratty little mate the Artful Ankle had shut up.

Hmmm what to do - what to do? I briefly considered a tempo run but then had another thought - why not do 1 x 3k, 1 x 2k & 1 x 1k? Why not indeed...

The first 3k came in 15.11 @ 5.04 av - not feeling I'd worked hard enough instead of a standing recovery I just backed off a bit and went through the 4th k in 5.36 - rest over I rolled straight into the 2k which I completed in 9.54 @ 4.57 av - so far so good.

I took a 3 minute standing recovery and then set off on the final k which I did in 4.13 - this surprised me a bit because it was over undulating ground and I really didn't feel I was pushing that hard at all - the fastest k I've travelled on foot for a while.

All up 7k in 34.56 @ 5.00 av - then had a nice long walk as a warm down.

Not a bad session considering just 6 days ago I traversed The Track.

Right shin and ankle are still a bit sore - the right twin "catches" every now and then but was completely silent on tonight run - go figure!

Oh yeah - I did exaggerate a bit with the scourer story on the infected bits yesterday - I actually scrubbed it out with the face cloth - still looks a bit yukky today but definitely healing.

Happy days :-)

8 comments:

Ewen said...

Looks like you've recovered well!

Good 'what to do'. 4.13 isn't hanging around - might be time to give the 5k a crack ;)

Superflake said...

Nice session mate. Looks like recovery is going well.

Samurai Running said...

Hey 2P

I had the experience recently that for two weeks after my last marathon all my previous niggles were just not there and if it wasn't for DOMS I was running pain free for the first time in months.

It seems the marathon stretched them out or something, but sorry to stay after a few weeks of rest and low milage they have reappeared.

Hope you left some of yours on the valley floor.

Spark Driver said...

That 4th kilometre is very fast. Well done.

You have inspired me into Six Foot Track frenzy and have announced I will be there 2008.

Thanks (I think?!?).

Tesso said...

Holy hell, that's a fantastic 1k! And the 2k and 3k weren't too shabby either.

Noice :-)

CJ said...

I wish I was recovering as well or as quickly as you - my legs are still unsure about this running caper, one week after SFT.

I'm sorry I missed seeing you at SFT. But if ever you are in Canberra let me know - a run or a coffee would be great!

Jen said...

Only a facewasher? Bit of a softy are we?

;-)

Vicky said...

I'm impressed at your rapid recovery 2P! Maybe I should threaten my body with a scourer?!?!

You're a begger for punishment by the sounds of it - whats Hellsgate all about then?????

MAR.