Sunday, March 05, 2006

Mud & Mad Dogs

Today Total: 15k
Week Total: 54k
Month Total: 46k
Year Total: 573

True to my promise to myself I had a nice easy 15k on fairly flatish trails this morning. I used the opportunity to explore a couple of turn-offs I have noticed off the main fire trails.

There has obviously been quite a bit more rain up here at Gwandalan because in places the track was fairly muddy and there were some mighty puddles too - I swear I saw a cow walk into one and disappear - ok I made that bit up.

One exploration took me to the abandoned YMCA camp on the Southern shore - well almost abandoned - some motor cross guys were camped there with 2 nasty Blue (red) Cattle Dogs.

They did the pack thing and came at me at angles one trying to distract the other trying to slip around me - I generally take a very calm approach to dogs but these guys meant business and I went after them - not to hurt them (yet) just to let em know they didn't have a victim. Eventually the owner emerged from his tent and called them off.

Amazingly after he called them off he ducked back into his tent again and back they came - right then no more mister nice guy - but then the errant owner emerged again and called them off - distracted and thinking it was over I let my gaurd down (figuratively & literally) and the bitch (in more ways than one) made a final lunge and nipped me right on the keister - no blood but a couple of sealed blood blisters emerged instantly.

I had a bit of a chat to their owner and let him know I was taking his number plate details - he was ok with that - unlike a lot of dog owners he was genuinely apologetic stating he normally had them tied up yada yada.

I must confess to being in two minds on reporting the incident - being the crocodile I am I kind of enjoyed the encounter - I haven't had a good donnybrook with a dog for years :-) And there was no real damage done - but I can't help thinking what if it had of been a kid that wandered in there?

The owners contrition, the fact he showed me where he kept them tied (and clipped them on while we were talking) and the relative isolation of the spot makes me think the episode had taught him a lesson - so - unless there is a puncture that I can't see, I won't report it, but any sign of infection..........

With that behind me I just kept on keeping on exploring nooks that I'd never been to before often stopping to mooch around - with the heavy overcast conditions and having enty of water being out and about was no chore.

Eventually Mr Garmin told me it was time to head for home and I made my way back by a slightly longer and I hoped drier route - LOL wrong again 2P - the way back was wetter and muddier than the way I came - no matter - I was just happy to be there.

Having run at a very pedestrian 6.30 per k average I decided I needed to blow out a few cob webs and pushed the last k (all on wet spongy grass) out in 4.48.

I'm thinking some 500's on Tuesday and that will just about do me :-)

13 comments:

RunDave said...

Sounds like a lucky thing with the dogs. I sometimes do my long run through farmland and I'm always paranoid that a dog is going to come out a attack me in the middle of nowhere with no help around (I do carry a mobile though).

Cirque said...

Gee 2P, I'm glad you weren't more seriously hurt. What sort of idiot would let his dogs have another go if he knows they're dangerous?

How're your niggles going? Anything to report?

TA and the Gnome said...

Now 2P, how do you "take his number plate details"? Do you run with pen & paper?? I guess a couple of blood blisters on the bum aren't going to affect your stroll in the mountains :-)

Gnome

Katie said...

"with that behind me..." I crown you 2P... King of the puns! I am glad you are enjoying your taper... and good effort on the 3kms :-)

Lulu said...

Glad to hear they didn't do any serious damage! Those blue dogs can be real dangerous ;)

Tesso said...

A person gets so much edumacation reading your blog, all these great new words :-)

I'd be freaking out about those doggies, they share top spot on my list of phobias along with birds, spiders, heights, germs and several other things. I'm glad they didn't do any damage, imagine being sidelined from 6ft from a stupid dog bite .... or rabies ;-)

Don Juan said...

What a mongrel. Dogs should be locked up too.

Good that no damage was done.

Chelle said...

Wow, scary stuff, I dont know what I would do in that situation.

D said...

I had several dog encounters but never two together. As a matter of fact yesterday there was a dog loose and he was chasing a kid on a bike a few yards ahead of me. I just yelled at him to get back across the street. You could tell he was thinking about it and he finally turned around and went back. The kid looked at me like I was a bit nutty. I guess I probably looked it - soaking wet, yelling lunatic runner!

Nice way to finish up your run!

Hilda said...

Better not going around for new adventures, or new routes... the world is a dangerous place even for a cocodrile as you!!

Take care, I would have died with an experience like that!

Horrie said...

I bet those dogs were glad you were in a good mood 2p. Your blog always keeps me entertained. Good work on the 3km as well. Sounds as though you are back on track for Saturday. Great news!

Spark Driver said...

Dog owners who don't have control over thier animals makes me see red. If he is going to let them run loose he should have been a lot more responsible.

miners said...

So how are the blood blisters now? Still no puncture wounds to report? Last thing you want now (after the little niggles) would be for an infection to show itself. take care mate