Saturday, March 04, 2006

3K TT

Today Total: 6k
Week Total: 39k
Month Total: 31k
Year Total: 558k

I don't normally mess about with all this short and faster carry on but I guess if I've been doing all this training, I might as well see what, if any effect it has been having?

So today I did a 1k warm up (would have preferred 2k but this was logistically difficult) followed by a 3k TT and a 2k warm down. I did it on a dirt walking path beside a bitumen road up the Central Coast. It was far from an ideal surface because of recent rain and there were lots of puddles to navigate but I figured this was good training for my concentration for next weekend.

Anyhoo I finishes the 3k TT in 13.14 but being honest even on a flat hard surface I don't think I would have broken 13 mins. Not used to pacing over this kind of distance I did the predictable and went out a bit hard and then did my best to hold on.

Splits were:

4.11
4.34
4.29

So you can see I really lost it in the middle k - nyeah what's it matter - the idea was just to have a bit of fun running fast over a short distance after all the long grinds I've been doing and it was fun - so mission accomplished.

Tomorrow I've planned an enjoyable 12 to 15k around some of the flatter trails in Crangan Bay on Lake Macquarie and I'm quite prepared to stop and smell the gum leaves :-) I like this taper thing - it agrees with me!

7 comments:

Spark Driver said...

Your right it doesn't matter. Having fun while running still works the best for me.

Lulu said...

Looks pretty fast to me!

Glad you're enjoying your taper... not long to go now before the big day.

Steve's Stuff said...

Well at least to you have a time to beat next time, if there is a next time.

After just reading your post, I've just come in from a short, sharp fastish 5 k'er - which like you is not what I normally do.

Don Juan said...

Good idea to test out the results of all that 6' preparation. It would've put a bit of pressure on the twins too.

I'd expect you to hold that race pace next week.

Mike Power said...

Well done on your effort 2P. Dont worry too much about time, just work on effort and completing the task at hand....which you did well. Enjoy it tomorrow and smell those gumleaves. cheers

Hilda said...

Nice taper, and nice speed, woow you are fast.

Tha day is so close!!

Tesso said...

That's a great 3k time! Especially after all that 6ft training, it wasn't a flat course, and you had nobody to chase. It all adds up to precious seconds.

But hey, don't ya hate the short stuff ;-)