Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Recovery

Today Total: 8k
Week Total: 8k
Month Total: 76k
Year Total: 1439.4k

My body felt pretty beat up after Sunday's run and a particularly tough session at training last night so I didn't run this morning as planned. It's a good thing I don't get shin splints otherwise I might be a bit concerned about the pain in my right shin ;-). Amazingly though, the twins are on their best behaviour (touch wood) either that or they're in shock!

When I got home tonight, I didn't really feel like it, but knew that getting the legs turning over would be a good thing so headed out around my Canada Bay route determined to just cruise. First 2k clicked over in around 5.50 pace while the niggles warmed up and then a 4.39!!! - Where did that come from? I was surprised at how easy this felt but decided to slow up some anyway, better safe than sorry - I can go faster later in the week if I pull up ok. Ended up with an average of 5.32 for the 8k which is about what I wanted.

I'm not normally injury prone, but I have been doing some extraordinarily stupid things to myself lately, somehow when I stopped at 6k for a mouthful of water as I stood up I brushed my leg just above the knee across the brass fitting and put an inch and a half slice in it - not a deep cut, but my Thorlos and white Nike running shirt are now soaking in Napisan. I might have to get myself a bubble plastic running suit like I suggested for DJ recently! Actually, better make it fire proof too :-)

4 comments:

Don Juan said...

Most of my running injuries are grazes, bruises and cuts.

My plastic bubble suit is lined with cotton wool, and around the house my slippers have sorbothane inners.

Hilda said...

Sometimes when I am tired, and go to run, it ends as one of the best run days, I think it should be because the body produces more endorphins to help the body with the energy needed, what do you think??

Clairie said...

I just love those 8km runs. They tend to be just long enough to make you feel you have done some good and yet short enough to leave you with energy.

Though not sure about the injuries bit....could do without that.

Maybe get some red sox so you don't have to soak them as long next time *grins*

Lulu said...

LOl you may not be injury prone but you're sounding a bit accident prone at the moment. I think we should tell Mrs 2P to keep you under lock and key!