Saturday, December 24, 2005

Kill Or Cure?

Today Total: 26k
Week Total: 66k
Month Total: 150k
Year Total: 1513.4k

Well first things first - I've broken 1500k for the year which was one of my goals when I got back to more consistent running in October - yay me :-)

There was a gathering of the CR Mob today for the Christmas Eve Quarry Road Dash - well ok - plod :-) Around 30 all up.

The title of todays blog is Kill or Cure and I've got to tell you the jury is still out. Mr Lurgy is still hanging around and I felt really frumpy at the start. My lungs were full of crap and the left of the twins had me walking much earlier going up the hill for the first time than I wanted. I even had to stop and stretch for a bit. Plu did the decent and hung with me while I struggled through a real ugly patch.

It was 31 degrees at 7.00am and I was guzzling water frenetically, I knew I would run out before the end of the first lap but adhered to the "it's the water in your belly not the bottle that counts" principle. It was a good move as I really picked up once I cleared the hill and ran relatively strongly to run 2 x 46 min splits for the first lap - which is exactly the same pace as 2 weeks ago.

The temp rose to 36 degrees and definitely took its toll - most folk bailed from doing the second lap but some hardy souls gave it a crack: Don Juan, O'Runner, Susan (?), Professor, Blue Dog, Bernie G, Bandana, Rebecca, Horrie and Belinda. I think Spud who started early from the other side did 3! There were some others who started earlier who did 2 laps too but I don't know their names - so apols to those I missed.

The second lap was hard and even though I was enjoying myself I really felt the pinch. The best I could do was bring it home for a total time of 3..21 which is 6 mins slower than I ran 2 weeks ago with a full 3 litre load in the Camelbak! Still given the heat and that I felt pretty ordinary at first I'm ok with it. Actually sitting here in Hornsby Shopping Centre tapping this out on the cackleberry I feel quite satisfied and happy.

Thanks to Spud who left water and coke at the Western end, you saved my life ;-) Thanks also to Horrie and Belinda who organised the whole shebang and also brought down an esky full of coke and water - tremendous effort guys.

Hung around and nattered on for a bit - it was really nice morning with really nice people.

Merry Christmas all :-)

9 comments:

Wobbly man said...

Huge effort in that temp and in your depleted condition! Wishing you and yours a great Christmas. Enjoy your break (with the blackberry off)!

Lulu said...

Sounds like a very hot and thirsty morning's work. I was thinking of you all when I was shopping first thing and it was already 30! Have a great Chrissie!

Katie said...

Good on you 2p!!!! We decided to run at Lane Cove due to distance and other chrissy committments. We started at 5:15 and it was sooo hot even then. Congrats on the 1500km... very impressive. It is nice to be consistant :-)

Have a fantastic Christmas!!!

Jen said...

Nice work 2P. Looking forward to making my Quarry Road debut one day - though hopefully under slightly kinder weather conditions!

Merry Christmas :-)

Jxx

Dave said...

Well done on the 1500, always good to achieve goals set!

A good run to have under the belt especially under such tough conditions.

Don Juan said...

Another Quarry Road and you'll kill off that lurgy.
It's a rugged and rough run. No easy patches carrying water up those hills.

Well done to hang in for a second lap today, and clocking up 1500 km.

miners said...

I'm sure you'll kill the sorry son of a lurgy with another lap or two mate - absolutely sensational effort to get that done in that heat today!

Have yourself a great one tomorrow 2P! Hope you're not missing the blackberry too much

Hilda said...

That heat is so high!!
What an intense group you join, just as you.
At least you like to train on that weather, is a whole challenge!!

Merry Cristmas!!!

Steve's Stuff said...

Congrats on 1500 k's for the year. So it gets as hot as it does in Melbourne.....

Merry Xmas