Sunday, December 11, 2005

Fortune Cookie

Today Total: 26k
Week Total: 40.9k
Month Total: 68k
Year Total: 1431.4k

Went out for a Chinese feed last night and I wish I had taken a different fortune cookie off the plate. The one I got prophesised "Your holiday is over, it is time to start working again".

And it's true, I've bludged all week basking in what glory I could milk out of my Central Coast Half result. Even I admit I went a bit far when I affected a limp at work so people would ask me what did I do? :-) But with Six Foot Track just 89 sleeps away it is time to knuckle down to some proper training.

I had planned on something flat and in the 20-30k vicinity but the cookie (and following the C2K results) inspired me to do something more substantial - 2 laps of the infamous Quarry Rd Fire Trail!





NB the Garmin obviously dropped out a number of times in the deep valley where you cross Berowra Ck - it is also indicated on the first lap on the elevation chart too. The Garmin gave me 25.5k, MB gave me 26.6k - so I'm calling in 26k!

A squiz at the topo map for this run indicates that 2 laps gives you about 700m ascent and descent - pretty reasonable Six Foot training.

I donned the Camelbak complete with a 3 litre load of water, Gu and some 1st aid supplies (triangular bandage, roller bandage & space blanky). Strictly speaking I didn't need to as I could resup at the end of the 1st lap from the car if I wanted. But if I am ever going to be an ultra-runner when I grow up the Camelbak needs to become like a second skin.

About 600m into the run I thought I was staring into on of those amusement park mirrors that makes you look skinnier, younger and more handsome, but then I realised I was looking at Spud running towards me. We were dressed in matching Kevie Quinella outfits of Six Foot Track singlets and CR caps! We stopped and nattered for a few minutes about C2K, life the universe and everything and then resumed on our separate ways. By and by we would pass, Spud looking fresh and sharp and me labouring like a '76 Dato on Bulli Pass.

1st lap going up what I've dubbed the "Bitch Pitch" (Quarry Roaders will know the one I mean - it's the steepest of the bitumen sections on the Dural side) and my hammies were screaming at the indignity of having to haul an extra 4kg+ on top of my great carcass and I had to walk for about 20m. This wasn't in the plan - I had mused that I would go around 3 hours for the whole shebang but when I finished the first split in 46.16 I realised this was probably a little too ambitious.

Things did get to liven up a bit though when I got to practice my zip zip man side step - I nearly stepped on a little green/brown snake (buggered if I know what type) about 12" long and the thickness of a pencil on the first lap just near the trig.

The 2nd split came in even time and I was feeling pretty good. I managed to run for the whole of the 2nd lap but I really did fade quite badly, I lost about 3 mins on the 3rd split and about another 8 mins on the last to finish in 3 hours 15 mins. I'm pretty happy with it though as the last time I did Quarry Rd back in February as one of my last long runs before Six Foot I did it in 3 hours 32 mins - and with nearly 3 months of training to go it augers well.

Tell ya what though - it's going to be a while before I go for Chinese again :-)

13 comments:

D said...

I thought Fortune Cookies were only supposed to have positive fortune messages in them! Wow - you had to avoid a snake .....that's a new one!

Happy running!

Katie said...

Ahhh 2p between you and DJ my husband thinks I am crazy due to the belly laughs your blogs evoke!!!! I tell him its all part of the training! What a great run... Berrowra is definately great training for 6ft track... just a few hills too :-)

You need not have worried about the snake... like a good boy scout you came prepared with your first aid kit!

Seriously that is a hue improvement in time for that run... Kits fortune cookie predicts great things in store for you in march :-)_

Don Juan said...

Very good run today 2P, especially with tying on a camelbak load, the hills, and looking at your weekly and monthly totals. Looks like you're a natural for 6 foot.

Spud wrote the same thing about the amusement mirrors in his blog ;-)

Clairie said...

2p I found your blog at last!!!

I read your latest post on todays run and laughed and laughed and laughed. I could just see you and spud running towards each other.

As for your comment "if I am ever going to be an ultra-runner when I grow up" can I clone that?

Cant wait to read more!

Thanks for all your encouraging comments on my blog.

Hilda said...

Reading you is teaching me a lot! And it is also funny, I bet you look young and strong with all that trainning!!!
Three hours training? You are on the way!!!

Gronk said...

There's no mucking about with you is there 2P ? Just launch straight onto it! Nice run mate.

Unknown said...

You gave me a good laugh too, 2P!! Before you go to bed on Christmas Eve, instead of hanging up your stocking at the end of the bed for Santa to fill, hang up the Camelbak & you'll get more goodies! Have a wonderful Christmas Day!

Spud said...

Hey 2P, it was a great morning for it, had to laugh at your mirrors comment, classic. I kept thinking 2P must be doing it tough, there's no snake around here ;-)

Hey the google overlap looks cool.
That hill on the climb back up to Quarry Rd is a bastard first and third time round, I was on my knees literally. All good training for 6FT though.

Jen said...

Sounds like fun. I'm already looking forward to my first Quarry Road adventure - but then again, no-one had ever mentioned snakes to me :-(

Stephen Lacey said...

Nice run. As they say, time on feet counts. Seems like it would be an ideal run to do every three or four weeks leading up to 6'. Glad you managed to miss the Joe Blake, more for his benefit than yours; I like snakes and he sounded like a nice little fella ;-)

CJ said...

Good run - love the sound of the Bitch Pitch!!!!

miners said...

Geez mate - nothing like a light recovery after a 1/2M PB on concrete is there?

Looks like you're going to have a strong build up for your favourite race! Love the training report - can't wait to read of more Steve Ella impersonations and other funhouse attractions ...

(and of course it goes without saying, but thanks again for all the wonderful encouragement - the help has just been fantastic mate)

Tesso said...

Oh, bloglines can be deceptive some times, I've only just discovered this post.

Bloody hell, what a run! Dunno how you do it, especially carrying 3 litres of water. Ha ha, and I limit myself to 3 Fuel Belt bottles of it max, I figure 4 would be too heavy.