Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Happy Gwandy Trails

Today: 12k
Week: 32k
Month: 116k
Year: 1479.4k

I nipped up to Gwandalan last night (well actually I nipped up twice - forgot the keys - doh) to get the place spruced up for Chrissy. A nice little surprise was waiting for me as the power board had fried and the fridge and freezer which we had been gradually stocking for Christmas were spectacular.

Had a nice sleep in this morning and eventually arose around 8.30am. Drank about 4 gallons of coffee and read my book just enjoying being on hols. Eventually though it was time to do some chores so I threw myself into the mowing and yard work.

I wasn't at all sure I would run today as Mr Lurgy is still hanging around but it was such a lovely day and there was a nice breeze..........

Some time ago I had noticed some trails leading off into the bush at the Southern end of the lake and decided today was the day for exploring. Fantastic!!! I had a ball being tempted by option after option but common sense kicked in and I kept taking the high ground option 1. Because I knew the road would be up there somewhere if I needed to bail and 2. It would be downhill coming home.

We have had this place 8 years and this is the first chance I've really had to get in amongst motor-cross central as on the weekends it's just not a safe option. But today I didn't see a living soul.

I was really tempted to keep on keeping on but reluctantly turned back at 6k as I was breaking two of the golden rules 1. No one knew where I was and 2. I had insufficient water (500mls) for running in the hottest part of the day in the bush.

This was one of the most satisfying runs I've done lately - just poodling along sandy, gravelly bush trails with some nifty little hills, a mixture of shade and sun with legs that felt like they could go forever - I was definitely in my happy, happy, joy, joy place.

10 comments:

Katie said...

That sounds like a great run! I love that happy happy joy place... running for the fun of it :-)

I hope you and the family have a happy happy joy joy christmas!!!

miners said...

Fantastic to hear you've found your serenity 2P. Also glad to hear the mower account was much less eventful this time around

Jen said...

Sounds divine. Simply divine. Keep running these trails and blogging about it so I can get my runner's high vicariously through you :-)

Tesso said...

I just love those runs that are sort of unplanned. And the ones where you could go way further but don't, and so you are itching to get out there again the next day.

Sweet :-)

Cirque said...

Sounds lovely 2P. Glad to hear the saga ended up OK!

Lulu said...

Oh stop tormenting us saltminers! It sounds lovely. Are you sure you don't want to stop and you can go and see some lovely meatworkers in Bordertown?

CJ said...

Sounds great 2P - I think I was in my happy place this morning too (first time for a long time).

Hilda said...

Yes, running is about happiness, great to hear you had that nice run. So I suppose the rules are safe and hydrated? Good rules, I'll aply them.
What a way to enjoy holidays and a life!!!

Bennyr said...

I love reading posts like that, 2P. Can't wait to hit the trails now.

Don Juan said...

Perfect holidaying: new virgin runs. Don't get caught out in the bush low on red wine either.