Sunday, May 13, 2007

Almost A Long Run

Today Total: 17k
Week Total: 38k
Month Total: 68k
Year Total: 690k

The deal was I would start running towards Sydney from our place up the lake and Mrs 2P would pick me up somewhere along the way. If I made it as far as the freeway I'd just turn around and start heading back.

It was a pretty good plan and armed with a handheld and a $10 note I figured I was good for 20 or so k before I got caught.

I started out really conservatively at 6.45 pace as it is uphill for the part. I was struggling to get into the groove and despite implementing the Tesso "go before you go" routine I needed to duck into the bushes rather urgently at 3k. Good thing some people had littered and I found a maccas bag choc full of serviettes - you can get lucky sometimes :-)

Feeling much better the pace picked up a bit and I was clicking em over at about 6.20 pace - nice LSD stuff. Stopped at the Caltex on the Pacific Highway (10k) at Doyalson for a refill of Gatorade and after that felt fantastic - I started pumping out sub 6 min k's - each one quicker than the one before.

By the 17th k I was down to 5.10 pace and feeling fine but just as Garmy beeped a toot on a horn indicated I'd been nabbed - Mrs 2P must have been a bit keen to get back to the brood for Mothers Day lunch.

Oh well - not the 20+k I was looking for but after a scratchy start it was a great run and a good confidence builder. All up 17k in 1.43.46 @ 6.06av.

Happy Mothers day to all the mums out there ;-)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

'Go before you go' concept. That's caught me out twice, not a bad percentage considering all the years and runs. You lucky b...... finding the paper so quickly, the last time it happened to me (last year) took me ages finding the necessary equipment.

Superflake said...

I used the Striders STaR map once for just that. Two sheets of paper that star. Lucky I knew how to get back to the start again.

Ewen said...

Good tip 2P. I'll look for Maccas bags next time I'm heading down the highway. Were there any cold fries left for a carbo-load?

Unknown said...

Nice recycling! I bet litter never looked so good.

Samurai Running said...

Well done 2P really does sound like a good run. You really are one of those "glass half full" kind of fellas. For mine getting "lucky" would at least mean finding a toilet with hot and cold running water and two ply.

running uphill said...

nice run 2P. I had the same problem recently, but alas no Maccas around these parts. Had to make do with a gum leaf.

Tesso said...

Great run. I like the way you kept getting faster. Pity Mrs 2P turned up when she did, another 10k and you would've been down to 4 minute pace.

Bennyr said...

Would it be in poor taste to suggest that you were "arsey" to find those serviettes?

5:10 after 17K and feeling good? You're in good nick, 2P.

Cheers,
Ben

Gronk said...

Way to much info thanks 2P. LOL

Spark Driver said...

Good effort there 2P. I pity the next person who has to duck behind that particular bush.

Vicky said...

Blaming Mrs 2P, ah? Perhaps less time spent in the bushes would have helped...!!!! Hee hee!

Good run anyway...

MAR.