Thursday, February 01, 2007

There Must Be Some Mistake

Today Total: 10k
Week Total: 22k
Month Total: 10k
Year Total: 272k

The same bloke that writes Superflakes program has also been doing mine and today he had written in an 8k recovery run after yesterdays faster run and pulling up with slightly sore adductors on both legs.

So after work I doddled off out the door to do a 4k out and back around the foreshore - when I looked down at Garmy after about 400m I discovered I was running at about 4.55 pace - I tapped Garmy hard and rattled it around because I figured it must be broken :-)

Sure enough when I went through my first k the pace stayed pretty constant so Garmy must be working - what tha? - anyhoo I kept it going for 4k in 19.32 @ 4.53av then made a decision to back right off and still try to get the recovery my adductors were after.

I also decided to extend the run by 2k to give myself a fair chance at working out any lactic that might have built up from the fast start and finished with 6k at a more pedestrian 5.43 pace in 34.15.

Frankly I was a bit surprised by today - I seem to have passed through some kind of threshold lately and taken a leap forward - I'm not getting too excited - I've been around long enough to know that the natural order of things is that I will probably now plateau for a bit till the next leap - but it is kinda nice :-)

15 comments:

running uphill said...

Love that pedestrian 5.43!

Shane said...

Lets hope the next leap is roughly 36 days 13 hrs ad 53 minutes away ;-)

Tesso said...

Its the natural progression of things when you are running well. You might be surprised but I'm not :-)

I didn't realise you were on a program. Can you say who wrote it? And are you getting one done for PMC?

Jen said...

I respectfully withdraw from our challenge.

For now.

blues buffett said...

Nice pedestrian pace. I'd be jumping out of their way if they came at me at that speed...

Stephen Lacey said...

Nice. Very nice.

Superflake said...

Priceless 2p, you have Tesso believing you actually have a program. Mine has been copyrighted so Bill Gates can't steal.

TD said...

We all take the good with the bad with running and you are going through nice patch now. Enjoy the moment 2P. You deserve it.

Spud said...

Just desserts! Must be all that trail you've been running of late Scott :)

Katie said...

I love when that happens!!! All your hard work :-)

Bernie G said...

What a pleasant surprise. It's definitely getting exciting now.

Clairie said...

Don't you just love it when that happens.

I think that classifies itself as a grey run though...with a white ending!

miners said...

lol - we've been trying to tell you that for weeks now mate :)

Ewen said...

I'm so glad I got that 5k in! You really are scaring me.

Ummm, I'm not sure doing 'black' and 'white' in the one run is a good way to save time.

Anonymous said...

Your post reminded me of 'Get Smart' and Max saying, "The old pace creep, I fell for it last week". lol