Sunday, February 25, 2007

Stairway To Heaven

Today Total:16k
Week Total:16k
Month Total: 145k
Year Total: 407k

Thankyou everyone for the good vibes and positivity.

I bet not too many people have a whole week off 3 weeks out from their goal event - but you know me - always willing to try something new :-)

Being sick has kind of thrown my plans out a bit - good thing the guy that writes my programs is flexible and he has come up with the "ease back into it and build up to race day" plan or the "reverse taper" as it's known these days :-)))

I'm really quite sanguine about this - I am ready for Six Foot.

So what to do today? No point going nuts 2 weeks out and having been crook - so I figured a lap of the stairs from Nellies to Megalong Road and return was going to give me the best bang for my running buck.

And as I was travelling back from Bathurst this arvo anyway - it fitted perfectly.

Headed off from
Explorers Tree in light rain and thick fog. Given that I bonked so badly last week I carried a bit more water than was strictly necessary and a Goretex jacket in case I had a drama.

On fresh legs I absolutely flew down the stairs hitting the Nellies sign in an 11.54 PB. The grip in wet conditions of the Asics Nimbus is brilliant.

Running conditions in the mist and light rain were near perfect. The fallen tree is still across the road just after the technical trail finishes but I barely broke stride as I hurdled the two forks of the trunk - I was full of confidence.

I was wearing 305 MkIII and I only thought I put on "auto lap" but instead I had enabled "distance alert" so it was a bit tricky to estimate my pace but I just figured if it felt good that was fast enough.

Arrived at Megalong Road and crossed the double yellows in 51.34 which is a few minutes faster than I want to do it on race day but as today was about a shorter quality hit out it was just about right.

As I arrived a chappie on a mtb arrived from Coxs and we had a natter while I sucked down a gu and refilled my handheld with Gatorade.

The run back was just sensational. Except for crossing the styles and the very steepest pinch not long before the technical trail recommences I ran all the way back to the trail.

I even ran some of the trail back towards the Nellies sign - from there I did the power walk thing and really gave it some up the stairs - my breathing was outrageous but I felt fantastic.

When I ran this course on the same weekend last year I set a training PB of 2.15.14 (and ran 6.03 for 6ft with a dodgy ITB) - today I stopped the clock in 2.05.31 - almost but not quite 10 minutes faster :-)

Happy 2P? - You betcha :-)

After today I'm thinking call me Mr Woolworths - fresh IS best!

I'm certainly not going to stress about low k's in the last 4 weeks.

La, la, la......

25 comments:

plu said...

This kind of taper might just be the thing you need for a big time.

Plu

Superflake said...

Good to see you had a nice run 2p. Must have been pretty wet down Nellies with the storm last night and the rain today.
See you at Striders Homebush 10k maybe?

Ewen said...

Great news 2P! Fantastic time down the stairs. Being an ex-steeplechaser, I wouldn't have loved to have seen the tree hurdle.

Perhaps one week of 'reverse taper' and 'fresh IS best' for the last week? ;)

Jen said...

Able to heap big trees in a single bound eh? ;-)

Awesome 2P! Glad to hear that the spring is back in your step :-)

Simlin said...

In better shape than last year then?

Don Juan said...

You're looking way better than last year.

Good to see, nuffin stoopid.

Anonymous said...

Reverse taper, I like that term. At least you're being positive. What could possibly go wrong......nothing.

Clairie said...

We are all saying it - and you already know it. FRESH IS BEST.

Stay healthy and strong. Throw a bit of speed and a few km in there this week but dont' go trying to make up for the lost week. See it as a secret key to your goal race.

I have a friend who is ALWAYS sick the week before a race. Something about the taper makes her unwell. She races so damn well that it is evidence enough for me that resting up is the way to go.

Spud said...

Good to hear you're back on the trails Scott and a very nice split down Nellies. Stay healthy mate.

Celeste said...

There you go! All you needed was a break - a week of crap was probably the best thing for you. Certainly it does not seem the fitness has suffered!!

miners said...

well, don't ask for my advice. Tess would probably compliment you on your forethought with the taper - I'm still not sure what one is ...

Tesso said...

Great stuff 2P. I'm glad you made up for your absense at the 5k Challenge with a damn good run.

Hmmm, maybe that guy who writes your program can recommend a taper for me for Canberra ;-)

CJ said...

Ok ok point taken - I will not stress about the lack of kms I have done recently. You have inspired me with that brilliant run!

Bernie G said...

The week off sounds like it has worked well for you. Not long to go now.

Horrie said...

Don't stress too much about the low mileage. You have done all the hard work and that is reflected by your 10 minute PB on the weekend. I am looking forward to seeing you break through the 6 Hour barrier on 10 March. Not long now. I am getting excited!

Wobbly man said...

Your story sounds so much better than this time last year! Nothing like an enforced taper to freshen things up.

Mat said...

Good to see your back from the plague Scott.

Nothing like a force rest to make you feel strong.

All the best for 6'!

Shane said...

What a great confidence booster. How good does it feel after a break to get back into training, everything feels like a well oiled machine.

I wouldn't be stressing at all, the signs are all good for a great result. Well done mate!

blues buffett said...

Hopefully it's cruise control mode now: lots of positive thoughts and stay away from anyone with a sniffle.
I think you'll smash previous attempts. Enjoy the build up as well as the day...

running uphill said...

Sounds like a weeks 'holiday' was just what you needed.

Bennyr said...

Top stuff 2P.

Looking very good...

Cheers,
Ben

Samurai Running said...

Yes 2P I seems to me you are pretty much ready for this and all I can suggest its that you use the taper time to get yourself together mentally.

That is, don't relax so much and think cause you did all this good training that it will be easier than last year. The whole run sounds like "painsville" to me. But I'm sure you are aware of this and setting your mind to "overcome" as I write.

All the best mate.

Unknown said...

Nothin' stoopid....the way to go 2P!

Do you think that snake was a poisonous one??

Vicky said...

OK Mr Woolworths!

A fantastic read right there 2P, your enthusiasim says it all. A sensational run in great surrondings and conditions, I'm inspired. Love hearing about those really 'enjoyable' special runs.

Sanguine indeed! You know you've done the work.

Remember - nothing stoopid - which includes leaping fallen trees in training!

MAR.

Spark Driver said...

Woohoo. Sounds great. Bring on 6 Foot!