Wednesday, February 14, 2007

8k Trot

Today Total: 8k
Week Total: 8k
Month Total: 111.4
Year Total: 373.4

Bit of a headache today so nothing flash - just a very gentle 8k in 47 minutes flat. Really even 6 min pace for first 6k then just stepped it up to 5.30 for the last 2k with no real increase in perceived effort.

Unfortunately the headache is still in attendance.

Now just some burbling - pulled up well after last Sunday but really footsore - I wore el-cheapo coolmax socks due to tearing my only pair of clean Thorlos getting ready and ended up with pretty reasonable friction burns on both feet - particularly on my heels.

It's a bit funny because on the day I kept thinking I had stones in my shoes and kept stopping to take my shoes off (and on 2 occasions my socks as well) to be a bit perplexed to find no stones. On one stop I even pulled out the inner-sole of my shoe so convinced was I that I had rocks in there - turns out the rocks were only in my head - for some reason my brain was interpreting burn for pressure???

Anyhoo bottom line is they are still fairly tender and I suspect I will lose some skin - I'm not too phased because I had already decided that this week would be an easier week before heading into two weeks of speedwork and hill reps before a final taper week.

Having run long hilly trail runs every weekend since mid November I'm pretty pleased with my endurance base. Most weeks (but not all) I've managed a speed workout of some description but this has been expendable and not realy very fast at all. Now I'm going to back off the length of the weekend run and commencing next week do one speed session and one hill rep session (pending finding a hill).

Being a fast twitch fibre kind of guy I respond very quickly to the faster stuff so even with only two weeks worth I think I will see some benefit - besides having generally run at a pace you could measure with a sun dial it will do me some good psychologically.

Anyway it's my plan and that's that :-)

12 comments:

Tesso said...

Sounds like a plan, Stan :-)

Can't believe its only 23 days until 6ft. Taper time.

Not sure if BlisterShield will help with the feet situation. I used it at Caboolture and came out the other end with just one tiny blister. I couldn't believe it, I was expecting stacks of them after putting up with wet shoes for most of the run. If you want to know more about it drop me a line.

Samurai Running said...

Hey 2P

You'll do well with some speedwork I know you got the fast twitch "pedigree".

good luck old "Chum."

Simlin said...

Please don't pull a Hammy doing that speedwork! there are only 23 days to go!

Ewen said...

Are you sure you won't forget how to do long runs? ;) What simlin said - you don't need much fast twitch to win the race to the stairs. Momentum will do it for you ;)

I think we all have rocks in our heads.

Stephen Lacey said...

Yep, there is no plan better than the one you've got.

My only call for temperence would be to suggest you concentrate on lactic threshold repeats or tempo runs than short, really hard stuff. But it is just a suggestion in line with what Simlin said..

Spark Driver said...

I have stopped mid-run to clear out imaginary stone from my shoes. Nothing found until I got back home to find that they were actually blisters. OUCH!

Mat said...

Like Tess say's...Blister Shield.

Never leave home (on a long run) without it :-)

TA and the Gnome said...

Can't find a hill? We've got a few up our way that aren't being used... :-)

I'm always scared of being the negative one, so I'm glad some others said it first - don't get too excited on the speed & hill stuff.

Gnome

Celeste said...

2P thanks for your comments on my blog. I had a quiet chuckle that you could think my progress is interesting. I love reading about YOURS!! The distances you run are, to me, truly staggering.

blues buffett said...

21 days.
Taper.
8k.
I can manage the last bit - just.
Great run Sunday 2P.

running uphill said...

Plenty of hills up this way too! Can I swap one for something a bit flatter?

Superflake said...

Glad someone can taper, I have to do Canberra after Six Foot. Punishment I think. Don't blow a tyre trying to go too fast during the taper.