Friday, December 22, 2006

Twilight Ten

Today Total: 11k
WeekTotal: 20k
Month Total: 150k
Year Total: 1834k

With the Chrissy break at training commencing on Wednesday it meant I was free to have a crack the "The Colins" 5k and 10k series on at Silverwater tonight.

There was a dozen or so of us turned out and only five people doing the 10k

With Quarry Rd on Sunday my plan had been to run 5.30 pace and doddle in at around 55 minutes but when I did a "warm-up" kilometer with Colin in about 5.10 I suspected I might be up for something quicker than that.

Benny was looking to go sub 50 and when I realised I was running alongside him I glanced down at Garmy at about 500m and realised we were running about 4.40 pace - whoops - time to back off and I went through the first k in 4.55.

From there I kept a very even pace splitting each k between about 5.03 and 5.10 - hitting the 5k turnaround in 25.13. By the 7th k I knew I was going to struggle and I slowed a touch going through 8k with a 5.17 split - I then dropped my bundle mentally for the 9th k where I backed off for a 5.49 shocker.

I had a quiet chat with myself and rallied for the last k with my trademark showboat sprint finish for a final 5.04 k split.

I'm a bit dirty on myself for that 9th k but overall I'm very happy with the result - all up 10k in 51.39 (av 5.11). Sure is a whole lot better than the 64.02 I ran at Striders 10k on the 7th of October - but then again I've shed 14kg since then :-)

Big thanks to Colin for putting it on - it is a great course - and thanks to Martin for the beer - much appreciated ;-)

And a huge congrats to Benny who finally got the monkey off his back and went sub 50 - well done mate.

Oh yeah and Miners - the Ohana's get a big thumbs up :-)

12 comments:

Jen said...

Fantastic result matey.

See you Sunday :-)

Shane said...

Gotta be happy with that 2P, nice one :-)

Superflake said...

Huge improvement in 2 months mate. Very impressive.

Stephen Lacey said...

What a wonderful bit of benchmarking. Amazing what a combination of dropping weight and consistent training will do. Keep it up. I want to see that sub 50 from you!

D said...

Great job on your 10K 2P. Merry Christmas!

Spark Driver said...

14 kilos since October is awesome!
Thanks for the christmas wishes. I hope you and everyone you care about have a safe one too.

Ewen said...

You had me worried there - I thought you might do the 5. Good race. Have fun tomorrow.

Spud said...

The need for speed is back, great improvement 2P. Looking forward to catching up on the trail on Sunday.

Unknown said...

Have a great Christmas Day, 2P, & many thanks for 'keeping a kind eye' on my blog during the year.

Lulu said...

That's a great improvement 2P.. very satisfying I'm sure. Have fun tomorrow.

Vicki said...

well done on the 14kg loss - the lighter you are the faster you'll run! Benny has obviously discovered that - I mean offing that monkey 'n all..... ;-)

Have a great Christmas and safe and happy New Year. Look forward to reading more about your progress!

Tesso said...

Nice run 2P. You must be rapt the way things are starting to come together.

Just in case I don't get to pop in before then I hope you and all the P's have a faaaaaantastic Christmas.

Can't wait to catch up again in the new year. Just hope I recognise you without that 14kgs ;-)