Saturday, September 30, 2006

CR 5k Challenge

Today Total: 10k
Week Total: 24k
Month Total: 57k
Year Total: 1334k

What a gorgeous morning for a run around The Bay.

I didn't set the alarm last night and left it up to the running gods as to whether I would run today or not. When I awoke at 0630 it was going to require fine timing if I was to make the start and after about 30 seconds of procrastinating I decided to give it a crack.

The start was choca's with about 40 yellow and blue clad warriors toeing the line - I made it just in time to go off with the largish 28min group including Birthday Girl Owly, Plu, Pipe, Kit & Ellie.

Kit and Ellie quickly took off and the rest of us meandered along in a loose group - I tailed off the back of the pack by about the 2.5k mark and doddled along around 20m behind the rest. By 3k I was really struggling to stay in touch but toughed it out with the mantra "don't quit, don't you DARE quit".

By 3.5k the over achievers started to go by which always gives me a lift and I picked up the pace slightly - when Birthday Girl Mk11 the legendary and wonderous Tesso came up on my shoulder at 4.3k (running off 22 I think) I just couldn't resist going with her for about 400m - eventually though I had to pull the pin and let her go - giving her one final gee up before I dropped.

BGMk1 Owly then came up to me and I picked the pace up and accompanied her over the line in 27.58 - a far cry from the sub 23 mins I did in March but I was happy to have finished relatively unscathed.

I was a little over enthusiastic at the start of the run back as the pack was "jogging" back at a faster pace than I came in the other direction - when I finally realised the sound of that freight train was actually my breathing I slowed and eventually tailed off with Owly and Pipe for a companionable trot back to the start.

All up 10k in about 61.40 and I'm pretty happy to have hit double figures in the distance department again - now for the mow-the-lawn recovery session :-)

Big Happy Birthday to The Owl & Tesso xx - sorry I can't join you for the celebration kids.

10 comments:

Spark Driver said...

I had to laugh at the "Mow the lawn" recovery session. I have done plenty of them.

Gronk said...

Nice one 2P. Double figures and 10 in the bank. Happy days.

Keep chipping away mate. :)

Jen said...

Yah for double figures!

BTW, my new snazzy neutral shoes are - wait for it - red!!!

CJ said...

It was a beautiful day here in Canberra too! So beautiful that I decided that a hilly run was in order!!! My recovery session is watching the AFL grand final but its a struggle to stay awake (this is why I'm on the computer!)

Ewen said...

Sounds like a fun day 2P. I also sometimes leave it to the 'running gods' to decide if I'll do a morning event!

Yep, lawn mowing is good cross-training.

I'm with you on the double figures - they look much better in the diary :)

Hilda said...

I need a bless from the running gods!!

Nice and fun morning run with friends!

Don Juan said...

Good idea to stretch out the legs around the bay and get some speed back.

I've been abandoned by the running gods; too much of an anti-christ.

Clairie said...

A great run 2P. Because you can set the bar for improvement based on your last time and this time. Now each 5km from here on I expect will be a goal to get closer to your previous time - for no other reason than to show you are coming back to form. Just in time for 6ft perhaps?

And how cool is that - to get to run with Tesso the Terrific. I miss her and it was not the same at the race today without her. I am glad she got to race with all you coolrunners - that would have been one of the highlights of her trip.

Simlin said...

Here comes 2P on the comeback freight train!
Woooo...Hooooo.....

Steve's Stuff said...

Your times can only get better now and I'm sure riding a bike with half flat tyres (your following post) can only help.