Friday, January 27, 2006

Slow Recce

Today Total: 24k
Week Total: 55k
Month Total: 263k
Year Total: 263k

Edit: Well Steve, I can't do the action video from Bowtells Bridge but I can do the Google Earth map and Garmin elevation profile :-)



The very top left of this image is Nellies Glen and where the race starts at Explorers Tree - the red line commences where I left the car at Megalong Valley Rd and from this perspective you get a good indication of the cleared land over Pinnacle Hill and the drop down and then along the Cox's River Gorge (click on the image to enlarge and see more detail). The Cox's River crossing is almost at the centre of the red line. You can also see the cleared exposed sections going up Mini Mini though this angle really doesn't show the steepness of the climb (lower right hand segment) but I think the elevation profile below takes care of that! NB the scale below is marked in 200m intervals.

Hopefully these 2 images give those who have never been there an understanding of what Six Foot is all about - the other point of note is that the climb to Mini Mini only peaks out at about 750m ASL - you then drop about 200m and then have a climb of even steeper proportions (albeit less exposed to the sun)to take you to the Pluviometer at just on 1,000m ASL i.e. 450m over about 3.5km's - then a grinding 10k or so drag up to 1,200m ASL before starting the descent to Jenoloan.



Well this is a first - I'm blogging sitting in the middle of the Megalong Creek from the cackleberry after just completing the 24k round trip from Megalong Valley Road to the top of Mini Mini and return - part of the Six Foot Track.

After the rigours of this week so far I took todays run at a very conservative pace heeding DJ's advice to set the toaster to light. LOL my average pace today would not have seen me make the 7 hour cut-off - but I was out for a good time today and that is what I had.

It was still a bit foggy when I set off from the car at about 6.45am - saw a wallaby, some bunny rabbits and lots and lots of cows all in the first little bit. The first stretch, once you get past Pinnacle Hill down to the Cox's is always a delight. The technical trail undulates but trends downwards passing through some limestone outcrops that always excite the amatuer speleologist in me - there are even some little stalagtites.

I had a little play on Bowtells Swing Bridge - that is one cool piece of engineering but it's easy to respect the one person at time rule. Judging that the river would be crossable I kept on the track and meandered down. Probably could have kept my feet dry - but that has never been my style - I like to splash about :-)

Once across I topped up the Gatorade and headed up. I walked more than I ran wondering why have I let myself in for this again. At one stage I considered pressing on to Pluvio but I made the right decision to turn around just before the fire trail drops down into the saddle.

I flew down the hill back to the Cox's and then started the grind back out. I managed a shuffle run thingee most of the way only walking the steep bits to get back to the car in about 3hrs 40mins - like I said slow but fun. Though I must confess it was a tad warm on some of the more exposed parts of the track.

It was nice to reaquaint myself with the track and there is nothing like a doddle along part of it to crystalise your thinking on what you need to do for preparation.

Well my feet are getting wrinkly so I better stop and get out of the creek :-)

11 comments:

Jen said...

Cool :-)

Very much looking forward to my first trip to the track...not to mention, playing on the swing bridge :-)

Bernie G said...

I'm jealous, I cann't wait to get back out to the track again. Good effort today.

miners said...

I felt like I was there with you mate! Fantastic to hear about this most fabled of tracks from a bird's eye view, so to speak. Can't wait to follow you as you keep us updated from the blackberry during the race ;)

Stephen Lacey said...

Almost impressive. If you'd posted some video of the river as viewed from the swinging bridge, now that would have been sweet.

Nah, nice run mate. I am just insanely jealous of our respective geospatial coordinates.

Cirque said...

I'm glad the blackberry didn't end up in the drink 2P. Thanks for the update.

CJ said...

After yesterday's session I'm surprised you could run at all - you're a machine!

Six Foot sounds like a challenging but good run to do - my plan is to maybe do it next year so will be following your training and experience on the day with great interest! CJ is watching you!

Don Juan said...

Impressive work out to get the best of both worlds: a good time and a long time.
Looking forward to the guided tour on the 2P race day bus.

Horrie said...

Isn't it great getting out and seeing the track in a nice relaxing way 2p without the pressure of racing? It really gives you the opportunity to soak it in and enjoy yourself.

Hilda said...

were you carring your laptop in the car maybe just to go ahead blogging??

Great to be able to see the track that way and study all your movements for the race day.

Katie said...

Mamouth effort 2p!!! And in the water again.....

Unknown said...

Never heard of a 'blackberry' 2P; unless it's the edible ones! I don't understand how you could run carrying what I think is a lap top?

Looking at your Google Earth pics. brought back memories of my long day out there! I hope to do it again later this year in the cooler months....provided I have companions!