Thursday, January 12, 2006

Poppy 2P

Today Total: 9.762k
Week Total: 9.762k
Month Total: 136k
Year Total: 136k

The 2 of my 3 step grand daughters that can talk call me Poppy and by jingos, by jillaby, I felt like one today.

The weekends little jaunt well and truly freshened up my lurgy and took a bit out of my legs too :-) - anyhoo I thought it was time to get my bludging lazy butt back out on the road. I huffed and puffed my way through a tad under 10k (got to round the numbers off for the totals) in 71 minutes!!! Not to put too fine a point on how pedestrian this is - I was running faster at the end of the 12th hour last weekend!

For those who asked questions I hope I got them all covered in my last post - though Kit asked one I hadn't contemplated - "how did I keep going when I wanted to stop"? Well Kit, I can honestly say the thought never occured to me - my burning passion was to cover as much ground as I could - there were times when I wanted to walk a bit earlier than scheduled but because I had broken the race down to 20min chunks I could always kid myself to keep going till the 20min mark then I could walk for a minute - after 10hour 40mins I actually had to force myself to walk more often (as I was shuffling) because I knew this would increase my pace when I got going again and my overall performance would benefit - but this took more will power (to walk that is) than you might think. I can be a bit of a single-minded SOB at times.

As for the recovery, well Monday I embarrassed the Halfpenny by crabbing sideways down the stairs of the cinema (Fun with Dick and Jane - give it a miss), Tuesday and Wednesday I spent about 20mins on the wind-trainer just gently turning the legs over. All my muscles except my quads seem to have rehabilitated - but as you can see from the above run the quads are still giving me some grief and as stated the lurgy has grown a bit stronger and I've still got a bunch of crap on my chest. I'm hoping todays run helped more than hindered progress but I guess I'll have to wait till tomorrow to find out.

9 comments:

miners said...

might be worth removing said 'crap on my chest' before attempting the next run - could help ...

I can't believe you're even walking let alone running this early after the huge effort mate!

Don Juan said...

Great ultra post-mortem 2Ps, awesome planning skills. Must admit I thought track ultras were for head-cases.

Tesso said...

I'm with Miners, I can't believe you are even capable of running again already!

What a great sign, obviously not much damage done. Must be a natural at this ultra stuff.

Sooooo, what's the next one (besides 6ft Track)?

TA and the Gnome said...

2P, how can you even think about running yet? Shouldn't you be lying in a foetal position in a dark room somewhere? :-)))

sfG

Wobbly man said...

Way to Go 2P - I agree, you must be one single-minded SOB. 10k at any pace is amazing (IMHO).

Hilda said...

Running already and still you call yourself "lazy butt", you are such a modest!!

You are growing strong!!

Katie said...

Now I know your mad!!! running already! I would still be sitting basking in the glory... with a little sign I just ran 93km! Haha you are stubborn ;-) Seriously... great to hear you are not too bad- except needing some new quads! That is a great stategy to break it up into chunks and race each bit. Sean suggested this for even a 10km race- do it as 10x 1km reps, easier to concentrate. I will give this a go.
Look after yourself!!!!

Bennyr said...

2P, I'd suggest you get in your slippers and dressing gown, make a nice hot mug of cocoa and sit down in the Smokey Dawson recliner.

You've earned a bit of "Poppy" time.

Unknown said...

Louis vuitton bags
acquire got their own emphasis in our lives, for arcade or anywhere away afterwards acclimatized a louis vuitton handbags
with us. While traveling anywhere and the lv"
is the one which makes you admirable wherever you go. This is not abandoned due to the architectonics of the aberant louis vuitton