Friday, January 20, 2006

Penance

Today Total: 12k inc 10 x (40 stairs) repeats
Week Total: 24k
Month Total: 182k
Year Total: 182k

Dear Running Gods, whatever thy humble servant has done to offend thee thou art truly contrite. Please forgive thee who hath not the foggiest what thou hast done to incur thy wrath.

You guessed it, I came a real gutser on my run tonight. I took the Foreshore Trail (what's left of it) to Kokoda Memorial where there is a set of 40 stairs - 24 normal ones and 16 brutes that are just far enough apart to make you feel like you are playing flea, fly, flow (sic?). On the way I zigged when I should have zagged and lost my footing in the mud and came down a cropper cracking my left knee on the only football sized rock on the entire trail grrrrrrr. My knee is a little grumpy with me and sporting a nice lump (not juicy like CJ's knees though).

The bummer is one of the hiccups I referred to recently was a fall where I jarred my back - I only hope I haven't stuffed that again too.

The idea today was to run there and then run 10 repeats of the stairs as hard as I could jogging back down after each lap then run back home on the trail. The vague hope being to replicate the conditions of fatigue you get on Blacks Range after the Pluvio ascent

Well I got to experience the almost mandatory stumble one has heading down to the Cox's River as well - frankly I think I am over-doing the realism thing :-) The damage doesn't seem too bad yet - I'm typing this from the pool at the moment to cool it down then I'll apply ice and pop the skins on for the night and see what hapens. I was going to rest tomorrow anyway in preparation for a longer bush run on Sunday.

BTW I intend to repeat tonights session fairly regularly (sans falls) in the lead up to Six Foot and increase the stair reps. It seems like the best "close to home" option..

Did someone say they were taking up a collection for cotton wool for me?

12 comments:

Don Juan said...

Your lucky has to come good soon.

In the meantime you can strap on some trainer wheels from IKEA Rhodes, or play on the escalators there in bubble wrapping plastic.

Cirque said...

OMG Scott - what are we going to do with you?

Isn't is dangerous playing with computers in the pool? I'm sure you can be electrocuted doing that.

OK, yes - I was taking up a collection for the cotton wool, but now I think you need more comprehensive protection. You can choose between a 24/7 bodyguard or a specially made bubble suit. Owly - are you any good at making one of those?

Anyway, we love you Bubbleboy! You really need to start being more careful!

Hannah said...

Hope you're feeling better! Nothing worse than taking a tumble like that!

TA and the Gnome said...

Hey, 2P. You could try crawling. That way, there isn't so far to fall... :-)

Hope you feel better quickly.

sfG

Stephen Lacey said...

Bloody hell mate, between you and me the violinists will be getting RSI!

Hope you haven't done any lasting damage.

Hilda said...

I thought those stairs were funny but I see they weren't good enough.
Hope you knee is ok.

Wobbly man said...

Take care out there bubble boy!

Lulu said...

I couldn't believe it when I read this one! What are we going to do with you. I hope the knee is alright after a nasty bang and that it doesn't aggravate the back.

Sheesh, we're really going to have to think about some sort of protective suit for you:)

Tesso said...

Wob's comment - bubble boy :-))) Tee hee, I think we may have a new nickname for you.

I'm still amazed that you are capable of doing all these crazy things so soon after Gosford.

Katie said...

Now I know here at team J we like to push the limits... but you always know how to go above and beyond!! I figure with all your trips, missed zig zags and tumbles- 6ft will be smooth sailing! Can't wait to see you come hooning down the finishing shoot head to toe in bubble wrap... hahahaha
(we are not a sympathetic bunch are we?) Seriously look after yourself!

Anonymous said...

The haversack of a lv"
. As for Louis vuitton bags
, the designers accept their own cast value, even for their louis vuitton
. louis vuitton handbags
is so abiding and accept able ability for water-proof and fire-proof.

Unknown said...

The prices of either the ugg boots sandals or the appealing ballerinas are not abundant as a aftereffect of which it can even be purchased by those with a lower budget. These brands accurately architecture ugg for women in adjustment to accommodated the needs of the growing appearance acquainted ladies.These uggs are trendy, fashionable and favourite a part of women of all ages. There are affluence of options to accept from these ugg classic short boots befitting in apperception the beyond varieties of these ugg short boots . People can not go out afterwards ugg short .