Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Point Wolstoncroft

Today Total: 12k
Week Total: 23k
Month Total: 23k
Year Total: 23k

I've wanted to do this run for a long time - I last ran out to Point Wolstoncroft when I was 11 years old with one of my primary school teachers an Irishman by the name of Mr Cameron. So todays run was full of nostalga - most of it bad - I got into soooo much trouble on that school camp :-)

Running from my place the route goes past the infamous Ray Williams (of HIH) mansion and through the sport & rec camp. Strictly speaking there is no public access except for residents of the park but I figure my taxes contribute to the upkeep of the place and the employees wages so that should entitle me to at least one run through this lovely part of the world.

The trail goes through delightful eucalypt forest with ocassional views of the lake. The point itselt looks out onto the lionlike Pulbah Island and I spent a few minutes taking in the beauty of the place. In the local dialect Gwandalan is Aboriginal for peaceful waters and I certainly couldn't argue with their nomenclature.

It was with a happy heart that I turned tail and headed for home.

6 comments:

Cirque said...

Sounds beautiful 2P. I must remember to ask you what you got up to at the school camp when you get home.

Jen said...

Sounds wonderful. Looking forward to putting the 2P correspondence school tip #1 into effect on a similiar trail very soon ;-)

Wobbly man said...

If ever there was ever a blog post crying out for some photos this was one! Sounds like a great one!

miners said...

G'day mate - only just managing to get back in touch iwth hte real world again - and couldn't go past your posts about the Lake area (I lived in Munmorah for 4 years). Fantastic runnning spots up there - it was great reading about your review of your run from Catho over to Gwandalan earlier in 2005.

And mate - how excited was I to read about your brick session! The Mountain Man challenge up in Gloucester is just begging you to join as long as you can paddle a kayak for an hour or so :)

Tesso said...

I'm with Wob, we want piccies!

And I'm with Cirque too, we want to hear the school camp story!

And I'm with Miners too, I reckon you should do the Mountain Man challenge!

Can't leave Jen out .... so I'm with Jen too, anytime I'm in Sydney and she's at the Lindt Cafe :-)

Gronk said...

I'm thinking that I went to the Sport & Rec camp at Point Wollstonecraft when I was about 12, 2P. Canoes, sailing (and girls) were the highlight. Coincidentally, I went to school with Ray William's son Stuart, when they lived at West Pennant Hills in the early days. Small world, huh ? HNY mate !