Tuesday, January 01, 2013

2012


A year of two very distinctive halves.

Still recovering from the Reactive Arthritis, I finally went off all medication in late February making it a complete 12 months on pills. I still had some pain up until about April, but since then I've just had a couple of minor relapses, each lasting just a few days - the last one was in September.

I also got up to 112.7kg which is the heaviest I've ever been, so in mid March I went the Atkins route and exercise and lost around 15kg by the time I started my new job on 4 June.

I LOVE my new job, it is sensational! As the old saying goes 'find something you love and you will never work another day in your life'. The thing is though, it meant a minimum of 10 hour days - every day!

I soon started to creep up in weight again and when I hit 105kg and my 'half-life' blood tests showed my cholesterol was up (thanks friend) I knew I needed action. I started walking and walk/running on the weekends - one day doing a 10k+ walk and the other a 20k+ walk with some running. Over several weeks I started to run more and more.

The 5 day break between sessions seem to work well from a recovery point of view and I started to drop weight and get fitter. The most noticeable change was in the mirror.

I broke from work on 21st December with a view that I would do some exercise everyday till I resumed work on 7th January 2013.

Well so far I've managed every day except for Boxing Day! I even got up early on Christmas Day and snuck in a quick 8k.

Got up to the lake late on Boxing Day and since then have gone gang busters:

Thurs 27/12 - 12k walk - sub 10 mins per k pace
Fri 28/12 - 27k hard trail walk/run - lots of hills
Sat 29/12 - 12k walk - sub 10 mins per k pace
Sun 30/12 - 18k (2x9k) hard trail walk/run
Mon 31/12 - 12k walk - 11 mins per k pace
Tues 1/1 - 12k walk/run - relatively flat with a couple of hills

93k in 6 days :)

I've also had a couple of paddles on the lake and a session of core strength stuff.

Nice way to round out the year.

All good! :)

1 comment:

Ewen said...

Good to hear 2P. Hope there's more of the same in 2013.