Sunday, May 03, 2009

Tassie Update

Very active 2P :)

Since leaving Launceston on Thursday morning I have been out of email/internet range - but a lot has happened since then....

Arrived in Launceston on Wednesday night and just had time to visit a very dear family friend - who just happens to be in the family way. Amanda & Eddie run a Vietnamese restaurant and if you are ever in 'Lonny' I can heartily recommend the Mekong restaurant in York Square.

Thursday got off to a slow start with a huge buffet breaky which we promptly walked off in the Cataract. Gorge - over an hours walking at a leisurly pace and then it was back in the car the head for St Helens via Scottsdale :)

St Helens is delightful and I just had time to squeeze in a very brisk 30 minute walk before sunset. Dinner in the local pub was one of the best steaks and the most sublime pepper sauce I've ever had MMMmmmm.

Next morning and it was up and off for a quick visit to the Bay of Fires and then full steam ahead to Frecynet - WOW what a spectacular place!!! Fatass territory if ever there was one!

I immediately donned running gear and headed off on the Hazards Beach Track - delightfully much more technical and steeper little ups and sowns than anticipated - I was well and truly in my happy place! After 5k out I stopped at a rock in brilliant sunshine and made friends with one of the locals - a bubby rock wallaby was more than happy to let me scratch him between the ears while I munched on an Atkins Bar. A swig of water and it was time to return as the sun set across the ocean - the smile on my face just got broader and broader :) :) :)

All up 10k of blissful technical trail in 1.34.29 - very, very, happy 2P.

Super Saturday

Awoke to a brilliant day - and after a massive buffet breakfast Mrs 2P and I assaulted the Wine Glass Bay Lookout trail - circa 1.30 walking at Mrs 2P pace and a nice climb up some 300 stairs to some pretty spectacular views.

Then a quick car trip and short walk to take in Cape Tourville - more spectacular views.

After a quick bite of lunch Mrs 2P challenged me to an hours worth of tennis on the resort court and then a sweaty me headed off for a solo attempt on Mt Amos - one of the Hazards Range standing some 465m ASL.

What a blast - this climb is as technical as I'd ever want to do on my lonesome in failing light - but my Merrel Overdrives never skipped a beat - even got to rescue a damsal in distress - a young lass from Denmark had got herself into a spot of bother on the descent and couldn't move up or down on what is the crux of the climb.

I didn't have to do much - I just climbed up under her and with good foot holds let her lower her feet into my hands and then onto a ledge - all good and she and her buddies were on their way again and I on mine.

I was tiring towards the summit but the lack of light left kept my attention and I made it to the top in just over an hour - what an amazing spectacle it is from up there - just sensational - certainly ranks in my top 5 views ever!

A 10 minute break for a drink and photographs and it was time to descend. The failing light had me a little concerned (I packed a headlamp but the track is extremely indistinct over absurdly sloped rock slabs) but I made it down in good time.

Finished in about 2.02 (including breaks) for what has been the biggest physical exercise day for me in a long time - super dooper happy 2P :)

Arrived back in Hobart for some lunch with friends who live here (Simon is my old bushwalking buddy from way back - we've shared some hairy experiences and though we don't see each other much the bond is strong).

After lunch I dropped Mrs 2P off at the airport and headed back into Hobart. A nice brisk 6k walk in 59.29 to loosen up some stiffening legs and round out what has been a brilliant break!

5 comments:

Hamburglar said...

Boy, something has happened to you in the last week - good stuff. Keep it up.

Superflake said...

Tassie is great to unwind summer or winter. Freycinet is fantastic.

Jen said...

Sounds divine Scott. I love Tassie - unfortunately I wasn't a runner the last time I visited. Can't wait for next time...

Cirque said...

Gee, when you get back into it you don't do things by halves! Good to see you back out having fun.

Ewen said...

Glad you're enjoying it 2P. A mate of mine has a rental property in St Helens - the "tropical north-east" of Tassie.