Sunday, October 19, 2008

Happy Place

Today Total: 6km
Week Total: 6km
Month Total: 6km
Year Total: 267km

Another decent break between drinks - without going into detail, this year I've just had to put family and work above self - it had me exhausted up till last week, but a week off where I did nought but sleep for about 18 hours a day has me now bouncing off the walls again. And touch wood I've just about tamed the tigers at home and work and life can get back to some sort of healthy balance.

Last Sunday I cut my hair, started eating healthily again and took a walk. Everyday through this last week I've walked with a few joggles and also done some core strength work - result - today I was ready (so I thought) to get serious.

So on the way back from Bathurst I stopped off at my favourite short track in the mountains - the Grand Canyon. I made good time getting down into the canyon proper and really enjoyed the section rock-hopping along the creek. I could tell I was out of practice as I had a few stumbles and also went over on both ankles a couple of times but fortunately apart from initial pain no harm done.

I felt every one of the extra 15kg I've put on this year climbing out though and it took a mighty long time to reach the to - but the view over the Grose Valley with the last of the setting sun lighting up the cliffs with a back drop of lightening strikes over the Sydney basin in the background made it all worth while! Spectacular!

Made it back to the car in an hour forty which is a good twenty minutes slower than my previous worst but the memories of that gloomy & damp canyon, with waratahs blooming on the ridges in & out combined with the fact I didn't see another living soul except that of a rock wallaby and a lyre bird had me well and truly in my happy place for the drive home.

Life is good :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome 2P, Awesome!
:D

Superflake said...

Welcome back 2p. So is this the start of Six Foot 2009?

Ewen said...

Good to have you back 2P. I figured you were snowed under at work.

I managed to withhold my jealousy until the lyre bird. Bastard!

Samurai Running said...

"Family first" hey 2P, that sounds like a religious cult to me ;)

Glad to have you back to your old selfish ways, or on the path to them.

All the best with it.

Cirque said...

Watch those ankles 2P. One fat ankled PGer is enough. Glad you're feeling good, but!