Friday, June 02, 2006

Singing In The Rain

Today Total: 10k
Week Total: 10k
Month Total: 10k
Year Total: 1148k

Yep - a bit of crook back syndrome still but I also zigged when I should have zagged at training on Monday night and got a niggle in the muscle that runs down the lateral side of the lower calf and alonside the achilles. No major drama but between that and the back I decided to rest all week.

I'm getting fatter.

So tonight I was determined to turn sideways and squeeze out the door and go for a run. As Sydneysiders would be aware it was a tad cold and inclement out there tonight so I donned the oldest pair of runners I could find, a lightweight rain shell and some fingerless thinsulate gloves and took off around Cape Cabarita and Canada Bay.

It was kinda nice running along in the dark in my little cacoon with my hood pulled tight, the rain pattering on my noggin, splashing through puddles and the whole path exclusively to myself.

I really enjoyed this one - all up 10k in 57.54 (av 5.47).

8 comments:

Spud said...

Was wondering where you got to 2P, good to see you're back.
Striders 10km tomorrow?

Superflake said...

I felt the same driving home tonight splashing through puddles with the heater on.

Jen said...

Mad dogs, englishmen & 2P ;-)

Glad to hear that you are back on the road

TD said...

You have got such a way with words, 2P. I love reading your posts. The language is so earthy, it has a charm of its own. Ewen wrote of his joy of running through puddles a little while back and I thought of that reading your post. As I said to Ewen at the time, there is something very primal about running through puddles. It was probably at about day two (..or was it day three) after Creation and God said let there be rain...and there was rain. And then on about day four God said, let their be runners...and there were runners.....and of course those runners had to go running in the rain ...and the puddles. Then came day 465ish or thereabouts - give or take a millenium or two - with Noah and the boat and that bloody big puddle. There were probably runners willing to give that a try too, part of our inbuilt survial instinct..first I walk...then I run...then I run through puddle! (You're probably wondering what I was drinking..or smoking..when I wrote this!)

Spark Driver said...

Sounds like a good effort hoping through puddles

Steve's Stuff said...

I love running in the rain. I should qualify that, summer rain not winter rain.

Reading your post I was picturing Gene Kelly (it was Gene Kelly, wasn't it) in the video clip. The only thing missing from your run was the umbrella.

Cirque said...

Not a bad time for a fat bloke!

Don't worry about watching your Ps and Qs, sounds like you need to watch your zigs and zags.

miners said...

Now how nice would that have been in the wonder woman outfit?