Tuesday, June 13, 2006

My Mate Fred

Hi Team,

I've been a bit quiet in the blogoshere of late - apart from injury there is another reason I haven't been doing that much running or commenting much on all of your blogs.

You see my dear old Dad has been fighting a losing battle with cancer. A battle that started in 1990 (just four years after his quadruple bipass surgery in 1986) and continued through to about 9.00pm on Saturday night.

He did it in style the old boy - keeping his dignity (albeit through a merciful morphine haze) to the end. A comment from the doctor on Thursday kind of sums up Pops character - I asked the doc in charge of Palliative Care how Dad was doing and the doc replied "well when I saw him this morning, before I had chance to say anything, your dad asked me how I was"? The doc shook his head, smiled and said "I don't get that in this particular job very often".

I won't go into detail but the final stages of terminal cancer are simply horrendous. Frankly it was a sweet relief to get the phone call from the hospital on Saturday night to say he had passed and that his suffering had finally ended. My ma, sister and brother all felt the same and as families do (including our partners and kids) at times like these we have been solidly supporting each other - comforted by the knowledge that dad is now free from all pain.

BTW his name isn't Fred - that is just a pet name that is interchangable between all the male members of our family - long story :-)

I loved my dad, he was and always will be my hero - nuff said ;-)

22 comments:

Hilda said...

Sorry to hear about sad news there. I agree with you that in some point is better to know the suffering stop for him.
My condolences for you and your family.

Jen said...

My condolences. You & your family in my thoughts.

Fred sounded like a remarkable man, who has raised a remarkable son.

TA and the Gnome said...

Our thoughts are with you 2P. It's hard to lose a close family member but there is also relief in such hard circumstances. I'm glad you have warm and loving memories to hold onto.

TA

Spud said...

Condolensces Scott, no doubt a tough time for you and family. End stage cancer is nasty, sounds like your Dad was a battler indeed. All the best to you and yours at this time.

Tesso said...

So sorry for your loss 2P. Thinking about you.

Bernie G said...

Sorry to hear of your father's passing. Take care.

Ellie80 said...

Hey 2P - I am really sorry to hear your sad news. Look after yourself :)

Stephen Lacey said...

You've captured the essence of your dad and your relationship with him beautifully.

And everything Jen_runs said.

Tamyka Bell said...

Thank you for sharing that with us. It's one of the most beautiful things I've read for a while, and it reminded me of my Oma, who lost the battle with cancer a few years ago.

The real beauty of people like your dad is that they will live on, forever, in the hearts of those who knew them, and we will get to glimpse them in your actions.

Dave said...

My thoughts are with you 2p.

Rest in peace Fred.

Mandy said...

2p...I'm so sorry, and I feel like a real dumbass for sending you that email today. My Dad had cancer...he's still here though, but it was horrific. I went through 5 tumours on my own, and I know the pain....thoughts are with you.

Katie said...

Thanks for talking about him so openly! You warmed my heart.... family is sooo important! I agree with you, it was horrendous watching Pa in the final months. Take care of the family and make sure you talk and reminisce about him!!

Clairie said...

2P I hope you can finally grieve your loss now, though having gone through the experience myself (not my dad though) I can say that during the months of chemo and other treatment is when you grieve the most as you mentioned - the final stages are horrendous.

Now, your father is at peace and no doubt looking down on his family with love and pride.

Fathers Day this year will be a special one where you can think of him and know he is no longer in any pain. At last you will be able to remember him as he was pre-cancer treatment and love him for all that he was and still is for you.

Life is precious and it's times like this we are reminded.

Rachel said...

So sorry for your loss 2P. Thank you for sharing your love for him so openly. Chin up and take care.

Cirque said...

Lots of love and best wishes 2P. Your Dad sounds like a wonderful man.

Bennyr said...

2P, my thoughts are with you.

Cheers,
Ben

Don Juan said...

Condolences 2P. When it finally happens it's still a jolt.

Hope you can get out for a long run.

Lulu said...

Hey 2P, I'm sorry to hear the news about your Dad. Even though you might be relieved that his suffering is over it still leaves a hole in your life. My thoughts are with you from over here.
Lulu xx

Spark Driver said...

That was a very moving post that sent chills down my spine.

He sounds like he has had a fantastic life and raised a great son.

Horrie said...

It's great that you can write about something so painful Scott. It will help with the grieving process. You and your family are in our prayers. Hang in there mate and see you out on the road soon.

R2B said...

My condolensces in this tough time 2P.

R2B

Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! » » »