Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Stinky Town

Today Total: 5k
Week Total: 5k
Month Total: 122k
Year Total: 1260k

Arrived in Auckland on Sunday night to miserably cold, rainy and windy conditions and things only got worse as we headed South East across to Tauronga to visit a colleague organisation and then ultimately Rotorua. Even the locals were complaining it was so bitter. The only good thing was that the wind kept the stink down.

Legs have pulled up well from Saturday - a bit sore but no obvious injuries. A nice soak in a geo-thermal pool on Monday night really hit the spot.

After a conference day yesterday where I ate more food than I previously would have thought humanly possible I dragged myself out of bed this morning for a trot around the lake.

It was pretty heavy going - whilst not sore the legs haven't quite got their bounce back yet. The scenery was great though on a crystal clear morning running through the lakeside bush on a mixture of gravel and sand tracks emerging every so so to get a spectacular vista of the lake fringed by thermal activity.

It's kind of spooky running past a blooping puddle of mud, holding your breath and realising you are in what is essentially the sharp end of a volcano.

Anyhoo heavy going that it was I still really enjoyed it and I'm sure the legs will be much better for the experience.

:-)

5 comments:

miners said...

a stinky 5km? Ironically, a thread about the Lake Macquarie Half just came up over at CR. I restrained myself from divulging anything about the stinky 21.1km of 2005 ;)

Tesso said...

Good to hear the legs feel okay.

Did you take the camera with you? Love to see a pic or two :-)

Katie said...

I loved New Zealand... very green! I bet your legs are still feeling a bit pooped. Take care.

Spark Driver said...

Must be fun running in a new place. Enjoy.

TA and the Gnome said...

The run sounds good, but I'd stick to sitting in the thermal pool :-)

Gnome