Saturday, June 17, 2006

More Than A Mouthful

Thankyou everyone for all the support - much appreciated :-)

Today Total: 62k
Week Total: 72k
Month Total: 117k
Year Total: 1255k

Well I bit off more than I could chew today! But considering the last 3 weeks I have had I am extremely happy with it.

Dads funeral was on Thursday which was a pretty full on day - work has been so busy that Thursday was the only full day off and by Friday arvo I was feeling extremely washed out and decided to pull the pin on PMC. This seemed sensible given in context with recent events plus how little running I've done lately and how much weight I've put on as well.

Fortunately I'm rarely sensible and by 8.30pm last night I determined it was back on! I'm glad I did :-) A qucik trip to Coles and then downloaded the maps off the net and I was all set.

I almost missed the start (another one) - rotten trains! Nuff said :-)

Anyhoo I made it just as the group photo was about to be taken - a quick hello to Jen_Runs in cheersquad mode and those near me in the 20 or so person huddle and KT took a happy snap and said "ready set go"!

We headed off and I quickly settled into last place with Horrie, Truckie and a few others. At the top of the steps leading up to the Harbour Bridge I stopped to strip off a layer and doddled across the bridge on my own. Watching the sun come up over the harbour was magnificent and when I thought "my dad will never see this again" before long I welled up and was bawling my eyes out - good thing no one else was around.

I put on a spurt and caught up with Horrie and we nattered on through Milsons Point and North Sydney. Eventually we got to a spot where Horrie had planned to meet Belinda and I just kept on keeping on - sure in the knowledge that he would catch me again.

I managed to catch up with a group that included the Hermanator, Virtual and Truckie and I alternately chatted with these guys as we made our way ever up. Hermy dropped off with a flurry of photos (he was only ever going the first 10k or so).

The familiar game of leap frog commenced as we made our way through Artarmon, Chatswood and up through Pymble - KT providing a welcome aid stop along the way.

Through this stage I started to feel sick but I arrived at Bobbin Head Road (20.5k) in 2 hours 7 mins which was obviously too quick but I'd enjoyed the company so what the hey!

Along Bobbin Head Road I started to struggle with the nausea getting worse and worse and I started to take more frequent walks and everyone just disappeared up ahead - I even felt awful on the 4k downhill section to Bobbin Head.

I arrived at Bobbin Head (30k) at 3 hours 25 mins and I knew then I was never going to go the distance - not today anyway - I took a 10 min breather (where I met Hamburgler) and refilled my camelbak and gatorade bottle (I took powder). As I walked off I munched a powerbar and with something solid in my tummy I felt heaps better. I still chose to walk the whole 4k up the hill though.

Just as I topped the ridge I ran into Plu on his bike and I got running again. Plu stuck with me till the gates where he had set up a treasure trove of an aid station - I selected a packet of chippies and a water bag (thanks Plu) and headed off. I was really starting to enjoy myself now and soon I was back on the Pacific Highway and wondering where would be a good spot to pull the pin?

I had thought I was in last position and got the shock of my life when Justin (?) tapped me on the shoulder - he stayed with me for a bit and then took off.

Not long after sfGnome came doddling the other way on his Saturday long and turned and kept me company for a couple of k's which was really nice too and that got me a bit further up the track.

The choices to stop from when Gnomey left me were Berowra, Cowan or Hawkesbury (Brooklyn). I stopped at a servo just before Berowra and got a ham, cheese and pickles sandwich - that really hit the spot so I decided to head for Cowan and make a decision there but even then I was pretty sure I was going to try for the 60k consequently when I got to Cowan I just kept on keeping on.

About 2k after Pie In The Sky Jen_Runs went past in her car and then stopped to give me my own peronal cheer which lifted my spirits no end.

From there it was really just a cruise down the hill to the Brooklyn turnoff and a 3k trot/walk to the railway station for the 62k total. A quick feed and a change into a dry thermal and it was just a matter of sitting in the sun overlooking the bay and waiting for the train to come.

I had done just enough - my ankle from when I rolled it at the NOSH had made itself known from about 40k but over the last couple of k really started to give me gyp so it was a good decision.

It was a very satisfying day - thanks KT, Jen_Runs, Plu and sfGnome for the support ;-)

Apologies to everyone that I haven't been commenting on blogs of late - life has been a bit hectic and tomorrow I fly out to New Zealand for a week and a half so it is going to be a while before I can comment again.

19 comments:

Dave said...

Great work 2p! Brooklyn sounds like a very sensible decision. Enjoy NZ, great place except for all the kiwis living there ;) (sorry Owl!)

Unknown said...

No need to worry about not leaving comments, 2P; happening to me also!

Sorry to hear of your dad's death.

And you nearly missed the start of the run again?? Seems like you had a good day & sensible to finish when you did. Hope all goes well for you in NZ.

Horrie said...

You did great to get to 62km 2p after all the events of the last week. I really enjoyed running those bits with you. Look forward to seeing you out on the road again soon.

Tesso said...

I'm so pleased you made it to the start. Thinking about what you've been going through I imagine that 62k will hold a very special place in your running memories.

See you at Gosford for PMC 2007.

Jen said...

Great job my friend :-)

Rachel said...

Wow, what a run! Have a great time in NZ.

Wobbly man said...

Well done Scott! A really great effort mate. Enjoy NZ if it is not work related and beware of mischievious owls! Safe trip.

TA and the Gnome said...

Scott, I really enjoyed the run and the chat. Glad you got to where you wanted to. Enjoy that "place with a nice view and a heater..." :-)

Gnome

Hilda said...

Nice you can suddendly put on so many miles and overcome the obstacles!

Gronk said...

Nice little run on Saturday 2P. Huge congrats mate !

Spark Driver said...

Good job there. Fantastic effort.

Ellie80 said...

jeez - just a quiet saturday run hey??? far out, i am in awe! enjoy NZ :)

CJ said...

Hard run but you did it. So sorry to hear about your dad. The same thing happened to me early last year. Dad was diagnosed with cancer in August the year before and passed away from a heart infection 6 months later - he was 63. Hang on to the memories.

Spud said...

It was great to see you run up the Opera house steps for the start Scott. Given recent events a fantastic effort, no doubt good for the soul. Well done mate.

Stephen Lacey said...

Cripes, you don't do things by halves. Getting as far as Brooklyn under those conditions was just awesome. Great job.

miners said...

just amazing mate - 62km is an awesome effort in anyone's book, read at any time, and under any circumstances - just simply amazing.

btw - don't forget the silver fern you owe me (the real one)

Unknown said...

Just catching up on the blogs and saw the news. I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad. I know he's no longer suffering but it's terribly sad to lose your father. ((((2p's)))

Don Juan said...

Congratulations on the 62km. Good decision to go for it.
That's 17km further than I've ever been.

I was going to run PMC but remembered I'm trying to avoid you.
Have a good trip.

Hamburglar said...

2P - great effort and nice to meet you at Bobbin Head. To be honest, the way you looked at 31k, I didn't think you would go on much further. To go on to 62k with what you have been through is a champion effort.

Awesome stuff!