Sunday, February 06, 2011

400% Rule

Yesterday Total: 31kms
Week Total: 45kms
Month Total: 37kms
Year Total:
102kms

Having done a few run/walk thingees at 7.5k - 8k I thought it was time to ramp it up a bit and also chuck in a bit of a hill - answer - Explorers Tree to Coxs River and return.

After my run in the heat on Tuesday the Right Twin really arced up - walked on Wednesday which only made matters worse so rested up completely Thursday & Friday.

I hadn't planned to do the Coxs River thing but around 9:30pm on Friday night out of nowhere the idea popped into my noggin - why not?

Now I'm not completely stoopid - I knew this would hurt considering my present weight and level of unfitness but I just needed to think it through and plan to look after myself - how excitement.

I did a quick search on my blog to look up all my previous entries containing "Coxs" - after having a read I figured somewhere in the 6-7 hour mark would do it (my PB being 4.02 & previous PW about 6.45). So I planned out the hydration, tucker and electrolyte based on a 7 hour outing. The weather report had me adding in a safety factor.

I was well pleased with myself running by 6:45am - 400m later I was well pissed off when the Right Twin twanged...... After singing "should I go or should I stay na na na na na nah" I hobbled down the stairs, then limped down the steep technical trail to the 4wd track - found I could shuffle along at about a 7.30/8.00 minute pace but any faster was out of the question. Oh well - probably a good thing given I'm fat and unfit.

Long story short - made the river in 2.40 - resupped with water and headed back walking only. Apart from bailing out an NRG runner who was out of water the return trip was relatively uneventful.

I always knew the stairs back up Nellies would hurt - I was right - took me 1.20 to get from the trail head back to the car - took me about 23 mins on the way down!

All up the time on feet was 7.00.22 a new PW but a very satisfied 2P.

Today my chin was fine and even my earlobes seemed pretty good - just about everything else hurts though - managed a slow 5k recovery walk today in just over an hour.

All good :)

1 comment:

Ewen said...

Now that's an epic journey to the river! Think I'll ignore the 400% rule from now on.