Sunday, April 27, 2008

Struggle Street & A Sekrit Mission

Yesterday's Total: 25km
Week Total: 25km
Month Total: 109km
Year Total: 203km

Just got home after running Narrowneck as an out and back.

Pulled up great after Hellgate - amazed the legs were not that sore at all. Came down with an horrendous crook throat combined with a mild cold though.

I also decided to capitalise on the fat burn and went Atkins as of Monday (just for 2 weeks) - immediate effect on the scales due to fluid loss (if you don't store glycogen then you don't store water either).

Anyhoo CR Mr G is the RD for the Wild Endurance 100k and he needed some last minute intel so I agreed to go fetch.

Well kids - I learned one very hard lesson - you can't do hard runs carrying a 6kg pack and hope for it to be a happy thing on a diet of less than 10gms of carb per day. I struggled. I struggled big time.

Always one to make the most of things I convinced myself it was good practice in hitting the wall :-)

Made it down to the end of Narrowneck with the wind absolutely howling and I clambered my way down to the top of Tarros Ladder where I conducted my experiment for Mr G - nope no mobile reception there, zip, nada, nix, nuffin. Briefly thought about a descent for old times sake but with the wind howling, in the dark, on my own I figured I didn't have to so why risk it? Besides I've done it before alone at night in worse conditions with a bigger pack - nothing to prove - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :-)

Climbed back up the track for part 2 of my mission a photograph of the top rung of the steel stairs/ladder thingee before Tarros - don't ask.

Mission accomplished all I had to do was get back - ugh - it hurt - it hurt a lot. Having cruised around Hellgate last week I was now in my own private Hell.

To add insult to injury - I thought the batteries in my Apex Pro were fresher than they must have been - and copped the warning flashes that I was down to less than 40% battery life while I was still stuffing around on Tarros.

Without whinging too much to you dear reader suffice it to say I made it back to the car in about 4.15 - I am an ultra runner after all - ultra slow that is!

Drove home feeling extremely nauseous but typing this I'm starting to brighten a little.

Nah nigh time :-)

8 comments:

Tesso said...

Gees, Aitkens isn't exactly a runners diet. Be interesting to see how you survive the two weeks. Keep us up to date.

Superflake said...

Nice secret mission. 100ks in a month. Don't over do it and break something as you have come from scratch.

Jen said...

Nice work.

Mmmmm might have to visit the "steel stairs/ladder thingee before Tarros" myself to save from asking the question!

Looking forward to catching up & receiving my merit badge ;-)

Ewen said...

Running faster will cure the battery problem mate ;) Not if you put in a late entry for the 100k though!

undercover brother said...

now thats a good recovery session

Rachel said...

I'll say it again....you are crazy! and amazing. you are made of the tough stuff 2P!

Samurai Running said...

Hey 2P

a few days before I read this post of yours I came across and blog article that claims,basically, that running on low carbs is OK once your body adapts. Just takes a couple of weeks or so.

Anyway here is the link

http://livinlavidalocarb.blogspot.com/2006/10/low-carb-marathon-runners-burn-fat-for.html

Lulu said...

You've had lots of success on Atkins before so at least you know it will be worth it :)

And you are definitely crazy, but I guess we knew that.