Sunday, April 20, 2008

Hellgate Hilarity

Yesterday's Total: 46k
Week Total: 46k
Month Total: 84k
Year Total: 178k

Due to the fog putting out the water drops took much longer than I had planned - anyone who has driven through the Jenolan Gorge or down to Kanangra Walls might be able to appreciate what it is like in drizzle and absolute pea-souper fog.

One funny thing happened though as I was walking in the 700m from the Kanangra Rd to put down one of the drops for Paul. Switching on the PT Apex Pro was all but useless in the dense fog so I decided to take my Garmin PDA (loaded with topo's) so I didn't miss the right spot. Concentrating hard on where I put my feet and fumbling my way along the soaked track with the wind blowing rain into my face - when suddenly, seemingly out of nowhere a disembodied voice said "lost satellite reception" - fair dinkum I hit my head on an overhanging tree branch I jumped so high!

Anyhoo after my heartrate got down below 180 I carried on. Didn't much feel like putting out the last drop on Blacks Range but knew if I didn't do it, it would put me under pressure in the morning.

When I got back to the Deviation I was so wired from concentrating that I needed to read for an hour to wind down, so lights out wasn't till 1.00am - I slept like a baby.

Waking up at 6.30 I still managed to fluff about and had to rush my preparation - I didn't even count how many people were there (will have to wait for someone to post a start photo).

Horrie gave us a "ready-set-go"and we were away with Belinda, Lynda & I all trying to out-do each other with what we had forgotten to do and pulling up to set things right. In my case I'd forgotten to lube up, but once I'd done the decent with a finger tip of Vas I got going proper, promising the girls I wouldn't leave the Caves without them.


Really super-pleased with my run down to Caves considering I'm 10kg overweight and have only run 130k's this year -arrived bang on 1.30 and had a natter with Martin, Run Bare and Craig (?) till they took off.

Then Horrie and Tim turned up - I'd been idling for about 15mins and was starting to get seriously cold and told Horrie to tell the girls I'd meet them at the gate before the climb - just as I was about to set off the girls arrived.

I knew they would fiddle about for a bit so I just walked the 2.5k down to the gate - the girls arriving about 5 mins after I got there. "What up there"? "Yep":-)

I swear Lynda is part Mountain Goat she just took off like there was no tomorrow. I had a bit of a chuckle when Belinda said "dare I ask - is it much further"? "No not really - we are about a third of the way up".

We made good time up the hill as it is much easier wet than dry. Finally hit the Kanangra Rd and cruised up to where Horrie and Tim were waiting - a quick resup and we were on our way into Hellgate Country. I've said it before - I'll say it again - it's the most fun you can have standing up.

Played leapfrog with Belinda and Lynda as they were both stronger on the ups than me and eventually they got away when I had a pit stop.

The descent was a bit of an anti-climax with the surface being nowhere near as treacherous as when it is dry - still gave the quads a good pounding though!
Gravity took me past the girls about halfway down and I mosied on down to the river.

After a bit the girls turned up and I just pointed them in the right direction and said "adios" - I had no intention of even trying to keep up with them. With my lack of training I knew to push was just to invite a cramp so I just ambled up that mighty hill. Suffered a bit of heartbreak when intuition made me turn and I saw my cap on the ground about 60m back. I briefly thought of leaving it but it was a Six Foot cap dang nabbit so I had to go back. A bit later I took the "deadmans" suck on the Camelbak and ruefully looked at my handheld which was about a third full...

Eventually got to Blacks Range and headed for home. I could still walk strongly but could only raise a shuffle run on the downs. "Ahoy" from behind me and there is Paul informing me of Martin & Runbare's" tale of woe.

It got dark but I couldn't be bothered to get my headlamp out and just doddled on the best I could passing Slow Maniac in his car as he was riding to the rescue. (BTW thanks for picking up the water drop - saved me a trip this morning).

Shortly after everyone left it started to rain quite heavily and I reflected what a different place the Deviation was now compared to the bustle of runners and bushwalkers earlier in the day.

The hardest thing I did that day was strip off and pour cold water all over myself to have a tubs (I had to - I smelled like a polecat). Skins on rugged up and cooked dinner - it was no use though - my core temp had dropped - so warming up a cup of water I went and got horizontal in the old MKI fartbag and concentrated on getting some feeling back in my hands and feet.

Had an ordinary nights sleep as I had to pee about 83 times - when I wasn't peeing I was trying to convince myself I didn't need to. Blah - morning came about 30 hours after I went to bed and drizzle had become steady rain. Breakfasted with the local kangaroos and headed into Oberon for some petrol.

Reverse trip to pick up the rest of the empties (and fullies - the coldness of the day meant people used very little water) and headed home. Done.

Thanks for the company everyone - especially Belinda & Lynda - you are two very cheerful trail buddies.

Oh yeah - and Milov - I dips me lid!

15 comments:

Hamburglar said...

Good to see you back out there 2P.

Tesso said...

Sounds like ... errr ... fun.

Sorry, but I reckon you ferel trail runners are crazy :)

Jen said...

Love your work 2P!

Spud said...

Good boost to the yearly total Scott.
That BOTW option has to be run next year :)
Thanks again mate.

Superflake said...

Good run 2p considering your k's since Six Foot last year. Sounded like a great day in the misty mountains. Good training for North Face 100 if you are intending on doing it.

Ewen said...

"Most fun standing up"? I thought that was having a shower after a muddy cross country race.

27k to 47k. Mate, you've invented the 71% rule :)

Great weekend job - I bet your efforts were much appreciated.

Horrie said...

Thanks for putting on a great event and making sure Belinda and Lynda didn't get lost. Unbelievable effort from you considering how little running you have done lately. Now you just have to work on the consistency. lol

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much, you brighten my world. This is my favourite run by such a huge margin. And it was great to see you out there giving it a go

Rachel said...

I didn't think you were serious?!! You are crazy 2P!

Samurai Running said...

Good grief 2P you back again? Talk about “Lazarus with a triple bypass.” Sheesh I cleared you from my hard drive 6 months after you stopped blogging but was happy to see a comment or two recently on other peoples blogs.

Glad to see you again and like your new mate "Dieta" above said your post was very "likeable" ;)

Ewen said...

Scott, Dieta sounds Japanese. Didn't she once say "black fish very likeable"?

running uphill said...

Sounds like a great run. Are you getting back into it now?

Anonymous said...

I really really want to run that one day. Next year I hope :-) You are a bloody tough old stick y'know that.

trailblazer777 said...

Enjoyed reading about that one.
Get a good sense of why you call it hellgate gorge! Way to go!
Once trail running is in your blood, it never leaves, it just takes holidays sometimes...

undercover brother said...

bugger milov - i dips me lid to you!