Sunday, April 06, 2008

Twilight Zone

Today Total: 6k
Week Total: 11k
Month Total: 11k
Year Total: 104k

The good thing about the HP not doing Rock Eisteddfod this year is I get to see more of her. The downside is I miss my long bush runs I've become accustomed to every third Sunday over the last few years during "dance season".

The end of Daylight Savings also compromises things a bit too - well until I thought about my PT Apex Pro that is :-) Hmmm Grand Canyon in the dark - sounds great!

Got to the car park a bit earlier than expected and got running shortly after 5pm. Still plenty of light about but knowing parts of the canyon are gloomy at the best of times knew it wouldn't last.

Sure enough with a very light misty drizzle and heavy overcast conditions I was soon glad of the lamp as I entered the canyon proper. I turned it off again as the canyon opened out a bit and the trail skirts along the Western wall.

I've never seen inside the short tunnel section before as I usually grope my way through here blind. Some things are better left unseen as all sorts of scary looking things inhabit the roof.

Used the lamp on and off as I made my way down the last tricky steep bits to the creek level.

Navigating the creek section efficiently is hard enough in good light so I decided to play it safe and turned the lamp on at about ten to six.

By the time I got through the creek section and commenced the ascent it was truly dark in the canyon and I took the opportunity to savour it - I was very much in my happy place.

As I ascended and the canyon opened out there was just enough ambient light to navigate by for a while but soon it was back to the lamp for the final 15 minutes back to the car.

Made it round in a very comfortable 1.20 - very satisfied.

4 comments:

Tesso said...

Sounds like something out of an Indiana Jones movie!

Ewen said...

Nice adventure there mate.

Thanks for reminding me to get out the Petzl so I can avoid all those scary things down at the 400m track ;)

Jen said...

How is the navigation around Grand Canyon? My pack & I were thinking of visiting it in a couple of weeks..

Brody said...

Good reading tthis post