Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Wim2p

Well I survived Thailand ok but the trip home nearly killed me :) Ok slight exaggeration but I am suffering an industrial strength dose of plane induced crook back syndrome. To add insult to injury I awoke at 2:00am on Friday morning (arrived home Thursday) to discover I had apparently swallowed an echidna bum first during the night - or so I thought judging by how sore my throat was. I may end up resorting to antibiotics - it has been nearly 5 days now and no signs of the bugger improving.

So no running for a while.

Anyhoo the last couple of days in Bangkok went by in a blur of shopping and site-seeing. The weekend markets, the Grand Palace, Chinatown, the Sky Train, temples, and just wandering the streets all now just form a kaleidoscope of images in my my mind.

Thought I'd google earth the 2 runs I did manage to get in while I was away. This first one shows the run from my hotel (just one street over from Kaoshan Road for those who know Bangkok) down to Sanam Luang (Royal Field) for 3 laps and home again. Wat (temple) Phra Kaew and The Grand Palace are the complex immediately to the south of Sanam Luang.
This next one of Thong Pha Phum is low res but in profile it gives you an idea of the terrain - the second set of mountains into the distance form the Thai/Myanmar (Burma) border.
In the picture above you will notice if you look close enough I crossed the river on my run - the photo below shows the bridge I ran over and a part of the mountain backdrop for Thong Pha Phum.
I'll also post another couple of shots tomorrow that well represent my time in Thailand.

Thanks for the comments while I was away folks - much appreciated. I will endeavour to do some blog reading catcherupping over the next couple of days.

14 comments:

Jen said...

Good to have you back :-)

Though I do feel very sorry for the echinda. Actually I feel very sorry for you if it ever comes out ;-P

CJ said...

Hope you're feeling better soon. Love the photos too - combined with your write ups it brings it to life for us stay-at-homers!

Damn echidnas - they get around!

Tesso said...

Like in the song where the woman who swallowed a fly, I'm wondering what you can swallow to eat that echidna.

Love the pics, especially that last one with the bridge. That must've been some spectacular run!

Simlin said...

you are just tapering for hellgate right? All part of the plan?

Ewen said...

Have you tried coughing it up? It should slip out easy, head first.

Glad you otherwise survived the trip, and shopping. A nice run to the mountains. Good 6' training territory by the look of that photo.

Get well soon (at least before Hellgate).

Spud said...

Good to see you made it back in one piece mate. Thailand is spectacular, got fond memories of a trip we did over there eons ago.
See you at Hellgate.

Unknown said...

All that chilli must have burnt the lining of your throat! Get well soon Mr.

Rachel said...

Great photos. Its an awesome place to visit. They are some nice places you ran.

TD said...

Good to have you home safe and sound 2p and I like those photos too. But it almost goes without saying these days that we come down with some bug from overseas travel. All the best mate.

undercover brother said...

echindna's bum?
i'll have to remember that one :)
nice piccies.
hope the back settles.

Spark Driver said...

Stay away from those echinda's. Bad stuf that.

Couple of cool Garmin pictures there. Looks great.

Mandy said...

Not even a postcard? :P

Unknown said...

I hope you're fit & well again, 2P. Loved the photos! Have a great Hellgate run!

Vicky said...

Glad to hear you're back in one piece 2P, despite the bad back, throat and flu... Sure you'll be on the come back trail in no time.

It was really nice to hear about your travels, thanks for sharing.

MAR.