Saturday, April 21, 2007

Hellgate

Today Total: 10k
Week Total: 16k
Month Total: 16k
Year Total: 608k

Well commonsense won out - I didn't do Hellgate but I did get a run in on part of the trail.

There were 10 starters (and finishers) and after they got going I drove down to the Jenolan Campground to set up an aid station and make sure everyone chose the right ridge to go up.

From there I drove through to Mt Lakeman and set up my mobile muncherama again. As the tail-enders came through I joined them for a trot along the Blood Filly Fire Trail and then the first k of the Moorara Boss Fire Trail - absolutely delightful :-)

When I arrived back at the S/F I found Spud had already finished and we just shot the breeze until in their ones and twos the rest started to arrive.

Everyone was highly complimentary of the route - well except for those that accused me of being a sadist :-)

All in all a very successful day.

9 comments:

CJ said...

Good to hear that it all went well, even if you couldn't run all of the course - a very wise decision. Hope you're feeling better.

Spud said...

Yes indeed, a delightful course you sadist!
Seriously, thanks heaps for giving up your day to see we were all looked after. This run should become an annual fatass event.
I'm now thinking of doing the Fats special...two very decent hills would be great training for WS..hmmm care to join me?

Ewen said...

You have commonsense? You must be sick. Very glad to hear everyone survived the delightful run. How did the 2-lappers go?

Shane said...

I always count my PT sessions at work as a success if everyone hates me for the remainder of the day. Sounds as though you done a very good job.

Wise decision not running the whole race aswell, hope you are fully recovered soon :-)

Lulu said...

Glad you managed to do some of it at least and they didn't all swear at you at the end!

Superflake said...

Pity you couldn't do the fatass since you set it up. Nice to get a short run up in the mtns on sat. It was great weather for it. I guess 2 weeks of racing rickshaws in asia wasn't good training for it.

Tesso said...

Any pics??

Anonymous said...

I have been thinking about the way you organised this and it seems to be close to perfect. It would be a big ask to run this unsupported but the descent into Hellgate gorge probably makes it too dangerous to turn this into a race. so well done for getting the right balance and thank you for the thought and preparation that went into the support. lets do it again next year.

miners said...

Great to hear it went so well mate - I konw that the part of 'race director' can be as stressful as any job on the planet, even if it IS a fatass - so well done.

and yes, you have me well and truly interested in trails