Saturday, December 31, 2011

So Long 2011 - Hello Rest of My Life

2011 was my annus horriblis - I learned a hell of a lot though so whilst it hurt, it wasn't a waste - how's the old saying go.... The pain is mandatory, the suffering is optional.

I'm not going to regurgitate the detail but the lowlights go like this: a dose of Reactive Arthritis landed me in hospital for 10 days, had me on a zimmer frame for 3 weeks, a walking stick for another 3 months and a long slow recovery that still isn't over; number 2 was my dear old Ma passing away on day 3 of my hospital stay; 3rd was an incredibly difficult work year - not your mucking about difficult work year, but your fair dinkum bastard of a work year.

Finishing off 2011 with a chest infection seems appropriate and I can see the humour in it. It's pretty funny really.

I feel I can take on anything now.

Just as well, because I'm officially fatter and less fit than I've ever been in my life.

I'm not going to make any bold claims about 2012. I'm just going to enjoy the rest of my break, recover and recharge and get ready to finish all the things I've started at work, shake off the last of the arthritis, give back to my family for the support they have given me this year, and get in some good training.

I've known since I was 19 what kind of old man I wanted to become, and at nearly 48 nothing has changed - I still want to be that old man. If I can use the lessons I've learned this last year, I have a chance to really set myself up for the rest of my life, to make a difference and to leave a legacy.

Roll on 2012, you are the beginning of the rest of my life :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear this year was so bad, and I do hope that it gets better in 2012!

I also wonder what sort of old man I will be (some people think I am old already)...

Ewen said...

Good to hear from you 2P. Would have said "see you emerge from the wombat hole", but that's my line.