Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Answering Louise

Louise asked a good question about weight and the relationship to Aponea so I thought I'd make a post out of my answer.

First of all there is a relationship in my case, but it isn't easily defined as a certain amount of weight change. Though it is true there is a certain extension to the porch that overlooks the playground at the moment - so I won't shoot you Louise.

Following are my observations of my case:

Me

Firstly, my body shape could only ever be described as stocky - or fast twitch as I prefer to call it :) I stand around 5'7" give or take, and in peak condition weigh in at around 87kgs - you can give me all the BMI logic under the sun but I just don't get lighter than that. Typically in training my weight hovers around 92kgs - 94kgs. At this weight Mrs 2P reports I snore softly and appear to sleep soundly. At this weight I generally wake feeling refreshed and looking forward to the day.

History

My first encounter with Aponea was in 2004 after I sustained a serious injury during my assessment for Master in Kung Fu (late 2003). Not training I blew out to around 106kgs and this was when I discovered I am suseptible to Aponea. As it turns out I have allegedly (I never quite trust Dr's) smaller than average airholes and this is also accroding to the quacks a contributing factor. I'm also a little yeast intolerant as well which can at times leave me a bit wheezy.

Weight loss and careful diet i.e. started running and other training again, combined with a low to lowish/lowish carb, no dairy after lunch etc seemed to knock it on the head fairly quickly and I felt a million bucks again.

Since the intial case my weight has been up and down and on some occasions has peaked around the 105kg mark without Aponea becoming a problem - though Mrs 2P reports that my snoring becomes quite raucus once I get over 97kg to 98kg. Generally at this weight I'm slow to get started in the morning but perk up around mid morning.

This case

I've hovered around the 100kg mark for some time now, though with two back to back doses of man-flu my weight got up to over 103kgs. Coming off the second dose of man-flu the Aponea has hit with a vengence.

So to answer your question

From my observations

At sub 94kgs I gently snore

At over 97kgs my snoring progressively worsens to the point Mrs 2P wants to kill me

I've been to 105kgs without Aponea disturbing my sleep (i.e. I don't do the wakey chokey thing)

103kgs on the back of man-flu and Aponea has hit

Conclusion

There seems to be about 3kgs to 5kgs difference from a "healthy sleeping weight" to a "noisy one" and about a 10kgs difference for a "healthy sleeping weight" to a "dangerous one".

As I haven't been training since June I'm guessing that there is a fitness factor, or a muscule to fat ratio type thing happening too, which may have lowered the threshold of where the serious Aponeo kicks in?

Guess I better lose some weight :)

4 comments:

Louise said...

"extension to the porch that overlooks the playground"... rofl... that's brilliant.

How about cutting dairy and wheat/yeast for a while - it's not the carbs that the human body can't handle, its the other stuff we weren't designed to eat. Good luck with it all - I'm sure the playground will get much more use once Mrs 2P gets over her murderous inclinations.

Ewen said...

Good to see you've turned the Titanic around 2P (and missed clobbering Jessica Watson again).

The fast twitch would come in handy for the sprint to the stairs :)

Unknown said...

louis vuitton
brash abridged the bulk of international, but aswell makes the Louis vuitton bags
actualization absolute adapted from acclimatized brands, even louis vuitton handbags
to match, can not bristles the lv
out of the actualization.

Unknown said...

As one of the most popular watches brands in the world, Breitling Watches grasp the heart of people by its high quality and exclusive design. Till now, Breitling Aeromarine are not only the timepieces but also the symbol of fashion taste. Although Breitling Windrider are sold at very high prices, a great number of people still rush to Bentley 6.75 for they are really excellent for daily use.

You have all seen the ED clothing , the jeans, and the accessories all around you. In clubs, at the office, in schools, and all the fashionable districts, where you never used to see much rock and roll wear like bandanas and print-alone tees, let alone as properly fashionable wear. And you know ED Hardy Shoes is white hot, when you can also see all the copies and knock-offs of hardy shirt proliferating, too! French designer Christian Audigier, of Lee Jeans and Von Dutch hats and apparel fame, started in 04, licensing the ED Hardy Shoes designs and life work on ink. Audigier obviously saw the rise of body ink as high fashion, especially with the strong influence of the seminal 5 book series, TattooTime。