Sunday, July 23, 2006

Update

Hi all,

Having been a bit quiet on the blogging front of late I thought it timely for an update. My last 2 runs were 3 July & 22 June respectively.

Well I did it again, but this time I did it good. It was a case of 3 strikes and I'm out! Yep - I moved furniture again and my Crook Back Syndrome has been back with a vengance. Its not your mucking about type of CBS, its more like your fair dinkum one minute you're bending down to pull on a sock the next you're laying on the floor in a foetal position sucking your thumb kinda CBS.

Alas I suspect I need to concede my furniture moving days are over - pity - whilst I can't run for crap and academically I'm no great shakes either - I have been really, really good at picking heavy things up and putting em down again - looks like I'll just have to get better at running ;-)

I aint whinging - no doubt the universe is turning out as it should. A restructure and expansion at work has seen my portfolio double in size, so in one of those quirky twists it probably hasn't been such a bad thing that I've only had one major area of focus - could have lived without the pain though so I suppose I am whinging a bit.

Anyhoo, fact is I'm still sidelined but I'm  casting an eye out for something that might float my boat as a goal to motivate me to start running again the moment I can.

My four target races this year were: the Gosford 12 hour; 6 Foot; PMC; and 12 Foot and then just see what happened. As it turned out the first two went relatively well but complicating factors meant I whimped out at 62k of PMC. The CBS precludes a start at 12 Foot - so where to from here?

Any ideas?

Oh and whilst I'm here - please do me a favour and visit www.goodcall.com.au - if you decide to sign up with goodcall 6% of your total mobile call spend will be donated to Disability Services Australia and it won't cost you a cent - you just have to agree to receive your bill via email. If you are already with Telstra or Optus you will be able to stay with them. If you are with Vodaphone (or another telco) they will swap you to either Telstra or Optus (at no cost to you) and will match or better your current plan.

Sorry I haven't been the most attentive commenter on your blogs of late - hopefully this is a matter I can rectify soon.

Regards, 2P

22 comments:

Cirque said...

I have no comments to make now I can't nag you about ergonomics any more. I hope the CBS gets better very quickly!

Shane said...

That site looks like a pretty good cause, will look into it a bit further.

It's a shame about the back, hopefully you recovery soon and get back out there. Sorry cant help with the race situation, im sure the other bloggers will have a better idea than me.

Take it easy

Ellie80 said...

'wimped out at 62k'. yeah right!! that's an oxymoron or a tautology - i forget which. but either way :) hope your back is better soon... e

Tesso said...

Gees, that's awful about your back :-( I felt sick just reading about it.

Hmmmm, ideas for a goal. Is the Southern Highlands Pub to Pub 50k in September a chance or too soon? You can always head up to the Gold Coast for the Kurrawa to Pt Danger 50 mid December.

Spark Driver said...

The CBS sounds like a real bugger. I hope you are feeling better soon.

Jen said...

Yes, you are such a wimp ;-)

Mmmmm, an event. Let me think about it & I'll get back to ya.

Take care matey. Good thoughts coming your way.

Hilda said...

The good part is that you are already recovering, now stay away from furniture ;)

Glad you are back!

Clairie said...

Heh 2p, like you I have neither been commenting or blogging of late but I had a bit of time tonight (= family well fed and now stuck to TV ).

I moved furniture the day before Canberra marathon and thought it was doing me good to 'cross train'.

Then two months ago I was moving furniture at home and hubby came home to find me lying on the floor in tears and agony. I went to bed and texted Tess that I would be a no-show at the race the next morning.

As it turned out I did show and run, but I will never forget the pain I was in the day before. It was worse than childbirth and I can only imagine what you are going through now.

Hopefully it won't last and you will next time call some friends or removalists...I certainly learnt my lesson!!!

R2B said...

My turn to wish you a recovery from CBS as quick as possible!

No more heavy lifting!You can do some work on your core strength ie abs and obliques to help your back recover.I am beginning these myself after getting CB running.

All the best R2B

Rachel said...

Bad luck 2P. Whinge all your like.....it sounds awfully painful!
Hope the recovery road is swift.

Katie said...

Take care of your back!! Hope your feeling 100% soon!

miners said...

Fantastic to have you back mate - in whatever blogging form you take on. You take it easy for as long as you need mate. I'm sure there'll be other ultras appearing on the calendar before too long.

If it's going to take a little longer, then remember it's not unusual for some of us to take a few months off running - so look at perhaps coming back for a fun reprisal of our Central Coast Half, and then look at 2007 with fresh eyes.

TD said...

I echo most of what the others have said. Fantastic to have you back. I really miss that wonderful writing style you have and the sense of optimism that seems to underpin it - no matter how bad the 'externals' may appear. Three cheers for 2p.

Horrie said...

That CBS sounds painful 2p. Hope it gets better soon. Mate, as for wimping out after 62km at PMC after everything you went through in the week leading into it, who are you trying to kid? Let us know when your CBS is better and I will plan a nice comeback race for you. ;-)

Don Juan said...

Bugger.
Hope you're getting good care, and back on the road again.
Next year for 12 foot.

I'd still burn the furniture next time.

Unknown said...

2P, please stop lifting heavy furniture! And I've missed you more than any of the others!

CJ said...

I am trying to catch up on all my blog reading too - been sidelined with the dreaded lurgy then we moved house...again. Sorry to hear about your back problems - moving furniture can do that! Take care.

Mandy said...

Mine was July 2nd...want to be couch buddies?

Don Juan said...

Hope the recovery is on track.

Looking forward to the comeback.

Gronk said...

Hey 2P, your non-blogging suggests that the back is still playing up. Hope your on the mend real soon mate. :)

Ewen said...

I know how business can cut into blogging 2P. I hope the back is on the mend and you can continue with future running goals.

Don Juan said...

Feels weird having 2 days off. Can't imagine what 7 weeks off would do to you.
Probably be a healthy and well-balanced individual. No thanks.