Monday, July 03, 2006

Baby Steps

Today Total: 5k
Week Total: 5k
Month Total: 5k
Year Total: 1273k

Since my last post.......

I finished work commitments in Rotorua on the Friday and drove back to Auckland where I swapped my boss for Mrs 2P. That night we drove just North of Auckland to Orewa a nice little beachside town.

As so often happens when you switch off after a stressful time, the next day I came down with a sore throat as we made our way to Paihia. By the Sunday it was a full on yukki headcold and my back was killing me so we decided to stay put and just do day excursions.

Took in the Waitangi Treaty Grounds then the Ngawha Springs where we made like tea bags in so many thermal pools - great for the back but my cold only got worse so no chance for running. Monday we took the car ferry and visited Russell a very nice spot on the other side of the Bay of Islands and allegedly NZ's first capital.

On Tuesday we took off for the West coast and made our way through Opononi and into Kauri land paying obligatory homage to Tana Mahuta NZ'zzzzz oldest known Kauri circa 1500 to 2000 years old - not super tall but a whopping 13m in diameter. Nothing took our fancy on the West coast so we hopped back to the East and found an idyllic ridge top chalet at Mangawhai Heads.

It would have been perfect except at 4.30am we were awoken to someone trying to force the door - armed with the knowledge that I knew the layout of the room I left the lights off and shaddowed the would be intruder as he (they?) tried the windows then the sliding balcony door - having no success they quit. Shortly after I sustained the shock of my life but thankfully escaped serious injury when Mrs 2P gave me a superbly executed rabbit punch to the kidneys because I went back to sleep :-)

Anyhoo no harm done and next day it was back to Auckland to fly out. Back in Sydney then Bathurst for the weekend and as I have still been trying to give the lurgy the flick I've pretty much done nothing in over a week and a bit so decided to break the drought tonight.

Nothing spectacular just a 5k out and around Cape Cabarita in light rain - breathing a bit crappy on the homeward leg but happy to have got this one under my ever expanding belt.

21 comments:

Ellie80 said...

sorry to hear about the cold and the wannabe intruder! but glad to have you back in the blogosphere :)

Jen said...

Nice to have you home :-)

TD said...

Great post, 2P. I've said this before but I just love your way with words - interesting visuals came to mind with your references to those tea bags in the thermals! You have a very individual writing style and that's something to be treasured. Sorry to hear about the cold and thank goodness nothing too nasty came of the intruder - except for Mrs 2Ps's punch in the kidneys! And you're so right, colds do seem to strike at the end of the stressful period and that has certainly happend to me. Sometimes it seems we just need to keep going full bottle to avoid coming down with the dreaded things. Good to see you are out back on the road.

Simlin said...

I wanted to know what you were planning to do if the intruder had got in...

Wobbly man said...

I know what you are feeling with the waistline mate. A few solid weeks training and we will both be right...won't we?

Stephen Lacey said...

Sounds like a nice bit of a break, allbeit with a lurgy. What with your "other" training, I reckon that intruder can probably consider himself lucky that the windows and doors were all locked.

Rachel said...

Nice that you got to relax in NZ a bit after your stressful week and game to run in the rain while you are still trying to kick that cold!

Oh and welcome back to blog world!

Katie said...

Welcome home!!! I hope your cold goes quickly!

Spark Driver said...

You are probaly lucky the punch went to the kidneys and not further south.

Thanks for your great comments on my last blog. It was just what I needed.

Tesso said...

Have you thawed out yet 2P?

Waiting now for some happy snaps to be posted :-)

Unknown said...

An intruder...that's scarey, 2P. But, going back to sleep... no wonder you got that thump in the middle from Mrs 2P!

Thanks, 2P, for your comment on my resurrected blog. While I was in Sydney last week I was staying at Concord & a few minutes from the house is Queen Elizabeth Park where I went each day for a walk & a lounge in the sun; good for running but I didn't feel like it!

I think that, like me, you should seriously get going again!

Jen said...

How you going dude?

miners said...

Great to hear you've made it back (relatively) safely mate - watch out for those rabbit punches though.

Hope the sniffles clear up well and truly soon for you. We need you running again!

Don Juan said...

The news in Wellington was snow in Rotorua. Sounded fresh up there. Wellington was antarctic by the time I left.

Got to Ta Papa museum, impressive, better than the beehive.

Horrie said...

Glad you made it back in one piece 2p. You have got to keep an eye on Mrs 2p and watch out for those rabbit punches.

R2B said...

I have to ask (having found my own HRM today after 6months MIA) how is the great heartrate experiment going?

Tah for the congrats too!

R2B

Bernie G said...

Welcome home (bit late). No get out there and continue the Great HR experiement:-)

Hilda said...

Hope you are doing fine, at least this is not happening while in a key training.

Don Juan said...

It's taken me over a week to get over New Zealand.
The language barrier ordering fish & chips was stressful.

Hope you're getting out for a run.

R2B said...

Where are you 2P?

Anonymous said...

What a great site »