Saturday, January 19, 2008

Tree to Coxs

Today Total: 29k
Week Total: 29k
Month Total: 29k
Year Total: 29k

Too stuffed to think up anything new - below is a cut & paste from Cool Running.

I suppose conventional wisdom from a zero base of training is to build up to a 29k jaunt through the mountains.... Well someone has to test out alternative methods don't they?

Took me over an hour from the trail head back up the stairs to finish in 6.43.

I hared off at the start like a primary school kid doing his first 5k fun run - it was great fun till at one of the creek crossings the water was deeper than expected and I crushed my big toe under a rock (cutting through the protective strip on my Merrels) - from then on it was still fun, it just hurt a lot on the downs - probably a blessing in disguise.

I let the world go by at the trail head and just pretty much walked with some shuffles to Megalong Rd. I had planned to turn back there but the siren call of the Coxs Rv with some water in it beckoned me on. By now my toe was numb enough for me to shuffle more regularly and I enjoyed the wet and how green it was.

Got to the swing bridge and headed home. The rain increased in intensity on the way back and the big creek past Nellies was close to being uncrossable - the track itself was a stream in many places and I wanted to trade the Merrels for flippers.

Anyhoo I'm glad I didn't run much on the way down as my legs were shot on the stairs. I felt alright on the inside but there was some kind of short circuit between the inside bits and the outside bits and it was a very sloooow ascent.

Really enjoyed it though and it was great to catch up with some old friends and also meet some new ones.

And yes Ewen - that only leaves me 16 minutes and 59 seconds for the last 16k!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Crazy bugger.

Anonymous said...

Someone has to do it.

and I am glad and not surprised that it was you ;)

Anonymous said...

there is still dunno up there. come on wheres the timer. having said that it was great to see you out there. weren't the wet bits fun?

Superflake said...

Good run 2p. Glad to see you get back out on to the track again. Hope you recover well during the week.

Jen said...

Love your (crazy) work !

Ewen said...

I worked that out before I finished the story! 10 hours 24 minutes doesn't quite get you a medal ;)

Glad you had fun though - keep fine-tuning that 100% rule.

Rachel said...

Gronk said what I was going to say :)

Tesso said...

If this works I'll be getting you to write my next marathon training pgm.

Anonymous said...

Good effort. I always think that run back from Cox's River is bloody awful.

Bernie G

Anonymous said...

Good to see you out there mate. You'll bounce back to your best for sure.